Drift socks or buckets

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 1, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    has anyone used a small bucket, like say a 3 gallon one, drilled with holes instead of driftsocks? when i river fish in my small boat sometimes the wind blowing towards me is stronger than the current holding me in place. i have had a heck of a time dealing with wind lately and looked into the drift socks but i couldnt see myself forking over $50+ dollars for one seeing how little i boat fish each year. i thought i had seen someone before using a small bucket or a 5 gallon. if so anyone have any tips on making one and/or pics?

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mike,

I've witnessed it 1st hand on Docs boat. I am going to them on my boat this year. Docs uses two 5 gallon buckets. Check out Docs website, he has a whole section on this.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    docs site is on the same server as the other site, so it's down as well.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive seen his site before and i thought it was "hookedoncatfishing.com". i just tried it but it came back "no site found". is that his site?

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oops didnt see your post jack, sorry:D

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    dinkbuster1,

Yes the buckets work real well on my boat, I have 2 of them used to use one but have better control of the boat when the wind is above 15mph, I just used old castnet ropes and drilled the holes in the bottom of the bucket so that the current will pass thru, used D rings to clip them on the back of the boat, I like the buckets better because they won't catch debris like the socks do and a cat won't get tangled up in the bucket like he could in a sock.........Doc

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks Doc, gonna make some tomorrow. my small boat should only need one where i fish. plan on going for a little while tomorrow evening or thursday and i'll let you know how they work.

8. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    I was also curious about this, how much rope do you let out between the boat and the bucket? Or do they hook right on the back? I have an 18' bass boat, will I need one or two buckets? Thanks, Boog

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dinkbuster I use them all the time on the pontoon boat. They work well in light winds to keep it tight against the anchor. I also have a drift sock a good friend gave me that I toss out if it's a bit windier than the buckets can handle. I think they're great for what they're intended.

10. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Dink, The buckets work great if you have a good bit of current. The driftsock works better if there is not a lot of current. I only use the driftsock if I have to.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Look around. You can find drift socks cheaper than $50. Mine cost all of $9, its for boats up to 14 ft long (fish out of a kayak), but the next size up was only a couple of dollars more.