Drift sock use?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by oldstylelight, Aug 24, 2006.

1. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    I am new to using a drift sock, but i think i have an application. i fish on the mississippi a lot and the current is very slow. Whenever the wind is blowing against it, the boat goes upstream and it is a constant battle to keep steady boat positioning. Would it help to throw the drift sock out the back and keep a steady pull on the back end while having one main anchor out the front diggin in? Anyone think of this or try it??

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I just use two drift socks, one in the front and one in the back, usually don't have any trouble then. I don't know if your idea would work good or not, sounds like it might work, but I just don't know.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Problem with a drift sock is it will catch all sorts of debrie in it but it will work, just they are kinda big to work fish around. We use down here on our river a drift Bucket, ( I got this from Dink and I believe he got the idea from Doc) where we take a 5 gallon bucket, drill about a dozen holes in it with a 1/2 inch drill and tie it off the back, easy to pick up and move, if you got a fish on, easy to work around and quite effective. Also you can tie it off either corner or the center of the boat depending on the need. Cheap and easy, as long as there is a little current, if not, the drift sock may be the way to go, Also I use it on the bottom of the boat to hold all my plastic rod holders and bow lines so when not in use, its a storage container.
    be sure to let us know!

Salmonid

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    This has been discussed here several times. Try a search of the forums.

A small drift sock ought to work just fine - a big one is just going to put a lot of strain on your anchor and maybe make it lose its grip on the bottom...

The advantage over a 5 gal bucket is that most drift socks have a strap so that you can pull them up in reverse without much effort.

5. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Thanks for the rapid responses guys. i do have a 40inch sock and am thinking that it is too big for that, fearing that it might cause anchor to slide. might as well just go buy a small 25inch sock or make a bucket type.... Will report back probably Sunday... gotta have time to hit the water first!

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Out the back of the boat it is critical to center the sock.I assume you probably have two cleats,handles,or something on the back of the boat to which you can tie a rope.Get a piece of rope long enough to make a V then center the sock on this rope and secure it by tying to the center.Toss it over and tie both ends to the cleats.Good point T about being able to retrieve the sock by collapsing it.:smile2:

7. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I'm a bucket guy. One 2" hole in the bottom and about 8 1/2" holes around the bottom edge. On top I put 4 holes with two pieces of line about eight feet long run through a clip. If you move your anchor line from one cleat to the other and your bucket from one side to the other you can swing your boat and reposition your self a good bit without having to pull anchor. I dont think it is hard to pull in but you could attach a line to the bottom for a trip line pretty easily. Whatever you use keep it close to the boat as you can for working fish around.

They do work though when the tide starts slowing on a windy day even with two anchors out I have to use a bucket.

8. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I use two buckets on my boat one on each end, they have 5-1.5 inch holes in the bottom which allows water to flow thru easy yet puts enough resistance on the boat that it will not move even with a hard transom wind hitting it.

I don't like the boat moving across the back, I like it locked down in place, using 150 foot of anchor rope off the bow have not had a problem, the secret is to get the water to flow thru the bucket which will keep the boat in place it just acts like a floating massive sinker.

They are very easy to retrieve as the water flowing thru allows you to pull the bucket in with little resistance, I use the remains of old cast net ropes to build them using the swivel allows the bucket to roll over without twisting the ropes all around, they are cheap and trees and brush, tires and even refigerators won't destroy them, you just stack them in place when not in use..............Doc

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Brother thats the best ideal I have seen in a long time :big_smile:

10. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    On saturday i didnt say a word to my fishin buddy.. we anchored up, had a wind coming straight at the stern with slow current on the miss. i took my drift sock out and he looked at me with the most dumb look. clipped it to the stern. thought he was gonna kiss me after we realized how awesome the boat sat there without major swings from the wind. Incredible! cant believe i have never seen folks doin that around here anywhere. tried a bucket with holes as well, it stays closer to the boat than the drift sock , but the bucket just wasnt enough as the 40inch sock had more pull that we needed.