drift sock setup?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by santee_catman, Jan 5, 2009.

1. What size(diameter) driftsock(s) and how many(1 or 2) would be recommended for a 21' poontoon boat for driftfishing in lake Marion?

2. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    at least 3 socks-for a 21 foot boat

1 big one 5 footer
    2 mid size ones 3 1/2 footers opening diameter that is length will match opening.

remember to get one with the weights and floats in the opening also with a good rear ring to attach a retreval line (always pull from the back when retreving socks or your back will hate you)

Curt

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Ditto what Curt said!!!!! J.D.:smile2:

4. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    are you drifting sideways,or front to back, you will need at least a 10ft easterlin sock,maybe even 2 down there ,the way that wind blowes ,to slow you down

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I also say 2- 10's on a pontoon,I use 2-3.5's on my 17' jon

6. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would agree with two of the 10' easterlings......you can usually fish one 10' up to around 15mph wind....any stronger i would suggest 2 10'. Easterlings are weighted on the bottom with a float sewn in on the top..great quality.

7. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I use 1 10ft Easterlin on my 24ft. pontoon drifting backwards and have no problem

GARY

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    very interesting post, I too am considering the purchase of a drift sock. Thanks brothers for the help

9. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
  10. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey,
    I use drift socks to make my living. You need for a 21 foot boat 2 drift socks 6 foot in diamemter, and 1 drift sock 10 foot in diameter. I have a 20 foot center console boat and I had a 28 foot and I now fish on a 30 foot Crest Tri-toon Pontoon boat. For Santee you will need those size socks. If you are on a smaller lake yes get the smaller socks. Smaller lake don't have the vast distances for wind to biuld in. Get your socks from Mrs. Mytis Easternland in Cross SC. She warrentties her socks so if you tare them on a stump she will repair them. And they are cheaper in price. If you get those smaller socks they will not be able to get you slow enough. Been there done that. Expeinsive lesson learned.

11. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    a 10 foot diameter might be a tad large! over 31 feet Circumference

Attached Files:

12. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I use two on my 25 foot pontoon and if much wind (OVER 10) with the cabana you need them. Know several more folks who use 2 ten foot. Esterlin is way to go for sure.

13. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    If u had a 20ft center console and the wind was blowing 10-15 what size sock would be needed? Less than that what would be needed?

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    A tad large I dont think so. I use the 10' easterlin socks and I have 2 6' socks. I fish out of a 25' toon and if I had a smaller boat I would still buy the 10' sock. The sock isnt going to slow you but so much so in lower and higher wind speed it will maintain your speed and hold your boat in the correct position.

15. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro

A TRUE 10 FT DIAMETER? How do you use them? off the back or front only? or bow and stern?

I use a true 5 foot diameter 2 of them a true 10 footer would be a behemoth 2 of them would be 20 feet accross. and almost impossible to use in marion (in the tree slots) , moultrie ok.

I use the word diameter , how long is the thing 15 feet 20 feet? we may use them diferantly but man 10 foot accross is just a monster. By the way where is the room to pull the fish inbetween them?

Curt

16. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    My opinion 15+mph you need 2-10's- If the wind dies down,just use 1-10

17. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Hey good thread here.
    I have to agree with the comment about trees on Marion. That is a tough lake to drift unless you are up closer to I-95 on the East side. On Moultrie it is practically snag free for long distances and you can drift whatever the wind allows on that lake. I have 2 5 foot Sea anchors and they worked fine on my last pontoon (20ft). Now that I upgraded to my 25 foot pontoon I need to go with a bigger sock. I plan to go with the above idea and go for a 10 footer to add to the other 2 to slow her down more. Thanks for the link to the website above by the way. I would rather keep the $$$ in SC if possible than some corporation any day.
    A trick to consider is how you want to fish your rods and how to keep the boat straight while floating along.
    I have seen 2 ways people drift:
    1) Sideways drifting with all the rods on one side rail and the socks out on the same side.
    2) Socks out of the front drifting backwards and rods spread out in a semicircle out front.

I prefer the first but either works. Main thing is to keep the socks in a way that keeps the boat from twisting and turning and causing a major line tangleup. On my old 20 footer I put one sock out on the front left corner and the other about halfway back on the left side to stay straight. On this new 25 foot boat, I'm still experimenting so bare with me on lack of knowledge there.
    Hope this helps,
    Jonathan

18. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Now I have not put ruler to them but sure looks like 10 ft diameter (one side to other) to me and they about 6/8 feet long not counting the straps. Put two out front of boat and drift back wards. Trees in Marion might be problem but I fish Moultrie most of time. You can get fish between them in front but prefer fish to come up to side (if they are willing). In low winds two do not slow you much more than one but with brisk (10 MPH) winds it will take two of them to keep you around .4 to .6 and in my case around 15 MPH wind or so I start going to the landing. Take into consideration my boat has cabana on it and it catches lot of wind. Take look at what guides are using most of them are the same. Easterlin's were designed to use on the lakes here and in my opinion they work well and better than any others I have seen. Hope that helps. Drop by Angel Landing and we will take boat out and give you a demo.

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I havent ever measured mine either but I am pretty sure that 10' is the Outside diameter and Easterlin sells tham as 10' so I just took heard word for it. Drifting in the stumps is deffitattly hard when you have to use a sock but no problem in the channells and creeks but I mainly fish Moultrie so I dont worry about I just put out as many and as big as it takes to get the boat to the speed i need to catch fish and then I just sit back and reel em in. I rarelly too never have any problem getting fish t the boat or around the socks. They rarelly to never get in the way.

20. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    ok I see they are not that deep (long). I use a true 5 foot but its 7 feet long so lots of volume in a smaller diameter (still not up to the mega socks you guys use). Now I will say this I dont want to be on teh lake when it NEED two 10 footer! you might be in 5 foot swells!!1 LOL

Thanks
    Curt

PS

I like a .3 to .6 mph drift (on GPS)