Drift sock question....

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by harper81, Mar 15, 2009.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I was planning on getting one 36" sock for my boat (15ft. aluminum v hull). but I found on ebay 2 18" socks and I got to thinking that would be better as far as option's depending on teh weather. Days that aren't very windy I can use one and when the wind is higher I can put both out. Am I correct in my thinking or would it be better to have one big one?

2. SloWater

SloWater New Member

State:
    TN
    Hi, I do not know much about drift socks for small boats. But I have a Alumacraft 1546 and I know a 5 gallon mud bucket does ok in slow water. I have been fishing on a bigger boat with big drift socks. Interesting post and I will follow this one with interest. Thanks for posting it.
    Gordon

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    with just a 15' boat you should be good with the 2 socks. i like to use 2, it seems to keep the boat drifting better.

4. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a 17 foot boat and drift 90% of the time, but I lake fish mostly and I like to drift side ways with the wind. My boat likes to drift nose first making it hard to keep lines straight I use the sock to slow the frontend down so will drift straight. :smile2:

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...would it be better to have one big one?...."

One 36" sock will slow you better than two 18" socks.

A 36" sock is the minimum I would buy.

Go with the bigger one.

6. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    This mud bucket is interesting. How do you rig it, do you just tie a rope to the handle? What about holes?

7. SloWater

SloWater New Member

State:
    TN
    This is for Redneck in a Skiboat
    I drift down rivers and creeks.
    I used a window sash weight on a rope to slow down a earlier smaller boat.
    Now with this boat that does not do so well, so I use a chain with large links, not sure about the size of the links, the chain is enough to half fill a mud bucket.
    I let the chain out on a rope (rope is about 100') behind the boat and the farther out the slower it drifts, the closer to the boat the faster it drifts.
    The mud bucket is a tall one and has a rope through the top where the handles were and there are a four holes about thumb size to let the water out when the chain is retreived. I have put the bucket overboard to clean it out and found that it will slow down the drift as well, just not as good as the chain. My chain is sort of a sliding anchor.
    The chain works in creeks and rivers, and the bucket works without dragging on the bottom.
    I am not good at this and Blackwaterkatz (I think that is his name on here) knows a lot about those things and I think I recall that he he had some window sash weights.
    Maybe you can use this, or try it and see how it works for you, after all a redneck in a ski boat can try anything.
    Gordon

8. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Posting for my hubby - don't want to bother with all of the loggin out/ loggin back in business. (And it's STILL my turn, anyhow):wink:

Gator says that he thinks two socks would probably be in the way of your fishing. Never tried two, though. But simpler is usually better.

9. 1bluedevil

1bluedevil New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Those 18inchers are to small in my opinon. Also if you are drifting side ways you probely need two, drifting out the back one will do better.

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Before got new boat I drifted with 36" sock on a Lowe's 1546 15 ft boat. worked well in lower winds and I did not stay to see if wind got over 10 MPH on Lake Moultrie SC I went to the bank. I did drift sideways in the small boat. I now have 25 ft pontoon and use two 10 ft drift socks. Yes ten foot it correct. Sometimes two socks help keep boat straight at slower speeds I find two do not slow you any more than one but two keep boat straight better. :roll_eyes:

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Just tie a rope to the handle, and I used to drill several 1" holes, about 3 or 4 in the bottom and/or sides near the bottom, so some of the water flows through. It seemed to help stabilize the bucket; just my opinion. I still use one occasionally when river fishing, to help hold the boat steady in current.

12. SloWater

SloWater New Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for that info, I knew that you were the one with the proper words and experience to explain what I try to do. My buckets start to break up after a while, maybe sunlight or the weight of the chain I stored in it.

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The buckets get brittle with age, and more so, exposure to sunlight. I've got a few that have been stored in a tool shed for years, but they still seem to be in pretty good shape. The ones that sit out in the weather don't last nearly as long.

14. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    i started out using 2 ,5ft socks, it did the job, when the wind was 15 mph or better.but i got a 10 ftsock,and it works better than the 2 5ft socks, always go bigger than you think you ever need,and 1 is a lot less hassle ,look in cabelas they had theres on sale

15. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Well, from what I ve seen and experienced , the option of 2 would be your better route,they should hold that boat pretty well.We have 2 but we havent used them much, we are just getting ready to get into some rivers with more current. Some people use a 5 gallon bucket with 1/2 inch holes drilled in the bottom and 3 ropes to 1 eye at the top, but that takes a little more room

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...we are just getting ready to get into some rivers with more current...."

Are you planning to use drift socks in the river?

17. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I will fish both so I would like to be able to drift lakes and use it to be stable in rivers.

18. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Bill, I used 1 36" sock and 2 24 inchers on that boat when I had it. I still have the 2 24 inchers and the rod holders, I'll be pleased to give to you if we can ever catch up with each other. With the 36" in the middle and the 24"s at each end it drifted great, even in high winds (sideways drift).

Steve

19. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    All you need is two or three old window weights an a rope to hold the back in the river:smile2::cool2::wink::roll_eyes: