Drift Sock Plans

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Kurnai, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Kurnai

Kurnai New Member

State:
    Queensland Australia
    Hi All,
    I am in Australia, and can't find plans for Drift Socks, (and the one that are for sale are VERY pricy :angry:), so I thought I would make a couple for myself and a few friends, Anyone have plans, Any size/s,
    Thanks.
    Kurnai
    (Jody)

2. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Welcome to the BOC! I'm sure someone here can help you with what you are looking for!

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jody. There might be something in the members library.

Tom

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jody Welcome to the BOC, from Illinois. Check the BOC library for drifts socks made from 5 gal buckets. An economical and effective way to go.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I have a drift sock made from a patio umbrella........jon rambo from sc hooked me up. It slows my jonboat down real good even on real windy days..

..........Let's Go Redwings!........hey jay, how'd you get a redwing on your post?

6. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
  7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Jody, Welcome to the BOC from NE Oklahoma

8. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i use drift socks all the time, Cabelas has the best prices if you want to buy them, if not there easy to make make a cone the size you want from a paper then fold it half length way then again so you get 6 creases in it, this is your templet when you cut it out remember to add about a inch per sections for sewing, next make sure the bottom is open so water can escape, sew the nylon straps on each seam the length of the sock, and one strap to the back of the sock all the straps should come together at the front, here a hint the strap should be one piece and folded in the middle to make a loop the strap to the back of the sock it to drain it when you retrieve it, by the time you get making one it will be easy and cheaper to buy one. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001320013631a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=drift+socks&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1 these are the socks i use if you keep a eye on them the go on sale regular

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    First welcome to BOC. I made a "drift sock" for about 5 dollars. Simple construction and works very effectively.

I took a 5 gallon plastic bucket and drilled (5) 2 1/2 inch holes in the bottom and four small holes at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees through the sides near the lip of the bucket, where I ran (2) 3 foot lengths of nylon ropes across, and took an old throw net rope and attached to it (the swivel is important). I also added about 6 feet of rope to the old throw line handle. These work great.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jody.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Below is a picture, if I do this right, of a drift sock I make from rip stop material. Total cost, excluding thread, was less than $10.00. The panels are 37 !/2" in length, with the top of the cone 11 3/8" and the bottom 2". The straps to hold the sock were 40". All these measurements are the finished product, so you would need to add a few inches / centimeters (whatever you Aussies are on) to the panels. I made this one with 8 panels.

Attached Files:

12. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    that is a great lookin sock there you have, what dener nylon did you use and straps size. the ones i have are made form some heavy material,

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh, I'm one of the worlds' worst to ask about sewing. My grandmother taught me to sew on an old singer treadle sewing machine. By the time I started first grade I could cut and sew shirts from a 50 pound flour sack. LOL

As I said, I used a material called "rip stock". I have no idea if it is a nylon base or not. It was cheap and the lady at Hancock Fabrics said that is what I should use to make a drift sock. I"m one of the few men who know when you ask a woman a question, and get an answer, don't ask another question. SO, it was made of rip stock. LOL

The strap size was 2 1/2 inch in width to begin with. I folded them in half, sewed the outer edges together, then turned the material inside out. I think the initial length of the strap was 54", as I did sew a good four inches of the strap to the material to give it strength, and then I had to double the strap around the hook I used and sew it...so, my finished length was about 47". I took two of the straps and sewed them together to make the long strap used to turn the sock inside out. Works pretty darn good...I think it may be too big for my little 15 foot boat. I believe the diameter at the mouth was something like 60 inches. I probably should have bought one for my size of boat and made a pattern from it. LOL

14. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Lawrence - Did you cut a radius across the top and bottom of each panel or did you just cut each one strait?

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I cut a radius, but forgot how I figured out how much to cut. Shouldn't make much difference, as long as it will open in the water.

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Thanks Lawrence. I can figure it.