drift sock on a slow river

Discussion in 'Boating' started by StuBone278, Apr 15, 2008.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    The river I fish here has current usually moving pretty slow, around 1 ft/sec. When there's a western wind (lots of lately) I can't even fish with the current as the wind pushes me upriver or from side to side, messing up my tightlining. With a bucket or something tied and thrown in behind could I correct this with such a slow river?? Thanks!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not sure. I asked an engineer buddy of mine one time about slowing down a boat to drift the Mo river with a sock or some other means not dragging the bottom or involving a trolling motor. His answer was that anything not involving extra energy or drag (a motor or dragging on the bottom) would eventually end up like the boat itself - running the same speed as the current.

Extrapolating from what he's told me, you might be able to slow wind-induced movement against the current using a sock or bucket, but I don't know. If the wind is blowing the same direction or cross-current to the river you're fishing I imagine it gets a lot more complicated. Shoot BajaCoop (he's an engineer-in-training) a PM or post up in the Missouri Rivers or Gateway Cats area and he'll probably see it and be able to answer. I'd rather see it posted where all of us hydrodynamics-challenged individuals could read it:smile2: Good Luck!~

Branden

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I might just go with trail and error on this one.:roll_eyes:

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    But then you miss out on all the fun out of trying to prove an engineer wrong:big_smile:

5. jpb

jpb New Member

State:
    NE Marietta
    WE USE A PIECE OF CHAIN TIED TO A ROPE.be sure you put it out the bow. if you put it on the stern and it catches it can sink the boat. length of chain depends on how slow you want to go.

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Here's what I mean. Anchor off the bow, bucket off stern.

Attached Files:

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    it should help as long as the wind is not too strong. it does not take much current to affect the boat movement. that being said......if the wind is stronger than the effect of the current you are out of luck. one thing I have learned is that the bugger the thing catching the current the better.

I would try the bucket first because the drift socks are dot cheap!

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Yeah my boat is also a 1436 jon, the hull weight is around 200 pounds, and only around 530 fully loaded. I'll try a bucket next time I'm out.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I use two drift buckets on my boat on the Ohio River. These buckets will keep the boat straight in some pretty good winds.
    This is how I made mine:
    Get two buckets and, remove the handles. Drill 5 - 1 1/4" holes in the bottom (with the bucket turn upside down) drill holes at 12 O'clock, 3 O'clock, 6 O'clock and 9 O'clock and, drill one dead center.
    Now drill four 3/8 holes on the edge of the buckets between the first and second ring at the top, straight up from the four holes on the botton outside edges.
    Now take 4- 3' x 1/4" ropes, tie a double twist half-hitch on one end and run one into one of the holes in the top, and run it through the hole straight across from it and tie another double twist half-hitch inthe other end. Repeat this procedure till you have all the ropes tied into the buckets.
    Now take 2- 8' lengths of 1/4" rope and tie them to the ropes in the buckets (centering them).
    Now you have two drift buckets that will keep your boat centered on you anchor and didn't cost you an arm and a leg to get them.

Drift socks are great when you have pristine conditions but, if you have any debris at all, it won't be long and you will have a net full, LOL!!!

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Here are some pic's to make it easier for you!!
    Pic 1 is hole placement
    Pic 2 is upper holes and rope placement
    Pic 3 is finished product
    I hope this helps!!!

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Man, I guess I am gonna have to quit giving usefull information and stick to the more comical postings, LOL!!! Seems that I killed this one, LOL!!!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the writeup JW.... looks like library material to me.....rollo