Drift sock buckets

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Nobody Special, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    For 5 gallon buckets, How many holes, how big and where do you cut them for the best performance ?

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    It really depends on the weight of your boat and the conditions you're fishing in. Less holes mean more drag from the bucket. I'd suggest starting with 8 or 10 1" holes in the bottom, then add holes as necessary until you get what you're looking for.

My Jon boat is light so drilled the 8 or 10 in the bottom then added a row around the outside of the bucket near the bottom. I use it to keep the back of the boat from swinging in the current on the reiver when anchored.

Works pretty well.

/Scott

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    What I did for my Lowe 1648 jon was take a 5 gal. buket and used a hole saw and put 5 - 2" holes on the bottom and it works great for drift fishing and using it as a river anchor. I use it drift fishing when the wind is under 10 mph and over that I use my 40" drift sock. Hope this helps.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was wondering the same thing. i rigged up a small bucket for my jon boat, its a little smaller than a 3 gallon but i think it will be enough for my boat and the small river i fish. i only drilled 5 holes in the bottom of mine but i'll be taking my drill along just in case i need more.

5. sawcat

sawcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a 5 gallon bucket with one 4" hole in the bottom to hold a 1652 Lowe. Seems to work great and holds the boat broadside to the wind making it easier for both of us to fish out of the same side.
    My 2 cents worth.
    sawcat

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I use two 5 gallon buckets, one tied to each pontoon. I have 4 two inch holes in them. About an inch from the bottom and directly across from each other. They'll hold the pontoon boat fairly straight in light winds and when there's light current. They work well for me.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Whenever I drift fish, I go as fast as the wind, which in OKlahoma means I'm darn near water skiing when I drift. Heard about these drift socks for years, but have never understood how to use them... I know the expertise is out there to answer the question, so everyone, please put in your two cents. You may save my life... if I snag up while skiing...er drifting, I may have to jump in to save my pole...

8. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get a good drift sock, they work great and are easy to get back in the boat when you want to pull it in. I probably couldn't pull a 5 gal bucket back in the boat in a strong wind.