drift sinker help

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mark29860, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I finally found a 5lb. box of #4 buckshot to make drift sinkers but I can't seem to be able to find any kind of cord to use. Can anyone tell me what I need and where I can find it. Thanks

2. FastenalFishing

FastenalFishing New Member

State:
    Boiling Springs, S.C.
    shoe strings that are hollow. Make sure because I bought some one time that looked like they were hollow inside but was braided. If you use nylon, after cutting and inserting your buck shot you can heat up a pair of needle nose pliers and melt it shut.

3. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    Alot of the cheap ropes you find in the fifty foot rolls have a removable foam inside you can pullout. Some people use parachute cord. If you have some old shoes you are ready to pitch use the shoe strings.:wink:

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    These folks have parachute cord of all sizes http://www.vtarmynavy.com/
    check for size to match the shot size.
    works great been doing it for couple years now.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mark, I'm not sure what area you live in, but I know there is a tackle shop in Rock Hill that sells the components. I can look up the name if you need it.
    Some of the aftermarket paracord is odd sized; you have to be careful to get what you need.
    .240 or .250 diameter is best for #4 buckshot, but some folks use small #8 or #9 birdshot to fill their paracord.

7. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Tommy (blackwaterkatz) posted this one time and I have saved it and referred to it many times.

slinky weights
    Shot Approx.
    Number Pellet Dia. (Inches) Avg Wght (Grains) #shot/Oz.
    4 .24 20.6 21
    3 .25 23.4 19
    2 .27 29.4 16
    1 .30 40.0 11
    0 .32 48.3 9
    00 .33 53.8 8
    000 .36 68.0 6

Still good info Tommy and thanks again. Proud to pass it on.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I had problems findind the cord to make slinky weights out of here in wilm. So i used some of that yellow hollow braid poly rope ,it works good for making them just have not had a chance to see how they work yet .:wink:

9. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I personally don't like the parachute cord, and I haven't found any rope that I liked, but lately I've been buying flat shoe strings that are hollow. I went through several sets before I found ones that were actually hollow. The ones I've been using are made by SofSole. I found them at Dick's Sporting Goods and Shoe Carnival. You can also go to sofsole.com to find where they are sold near you (which is how I found them at Shoe Carnival, which is $.50 cheaper per pair than Dick's). They are fine with #4 but will handle #1. Next time I make some I'm using #1, but I probably have 4 years worth now.

When I first started I used some very large round laces from Sportsman's Warehouse, and they haven't seen them there recently, nor have I found any other round laces big enough for anything bigger than BB shot. There are round laces everywhere that look like they are big enough, but will not work. Those laces from Sportsman's Warehouse were pretty much maxed out with #4, and they were huge compared to normal round laces.

10. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Tommy i get mine in Rock Hill also. you can get a couple hundred feet and 2 box's of shot at the same store. Takes a little time to make them but worth the trouble. Is the name of that shop Catawba Bait and Tackle?? Not really sure even though i visit them a few time a yr. They always got the hooks i need.

11. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    It is Catawba Tackle on India Hook Rd. in Rock Hill,S.C.,He carries the slinky weights already made up for $1.00 and he also has every thing else needed to make them,Para Cord{I usually buy 50'},Buckshot[.240} a 5lb box and the peg floats in different sizes,most use either 2" or 2 1/2",you can buy those in bags of 100.
    Fishermans Shack also sells the stuff but never ordered from them