drift or anchor ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfisherman369, Dec 13, 2008.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    If you only had one way to fish would you drift or anchor ?
    And which way do you think produces more fish ?

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I would anchor...and as long as you pick the right spot to anchor I also think it produces less hassle and more fish.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i cant answer it that easy

I would drift lakes spring,summer and fall to produce the most fish and anchor in the winter.

I would drift ( bottom bounce ) rivers spring,summer and fall and anchor in the winter . but prespawn anchor fishing in current can be very very productive .

it will vary from water temps and conditions of the lakes and rivers .

if i had to choose 1 i would lean towards drifting and bottom bouncing to produce the most fish because of the amount of water you are able to cover.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Anchor, anchor, anchor......can you tell I've never drifted a day in my life:smile2:

I've done it with a guide before, but there is just absolutely no way you're gonna drift in the waters I fish, too many snags in the lake and the current is way too quick in the river, just wouldn't work.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Scott on this one.:0a27:

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Scott pretty much covered it as far as I'm concerned. Good job Scott.

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    It all depends on the season and water conditions. I just started drifting last spring/summer and done real well during most of the normal slow periods. I say drift as long as conditions allow because you cover so much more water. The late spring and summer periods when fish are more scattered is when drifting works best for me. However in the winter, blues will hold tight together and if you find them and anchor up on them you better have some good stout rod holders because its on. I fish rivers and cant really say for lakes but if I had only one choice Id have to drift fish most of the time.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Depends on what you are after. You can drift every day for a year and probably never catch a Flathead.
    But Blues and Channels you'll catch a slew. I base this on VERY limited drifting experience (this year and a couple times last) But when you can't catch them at anchor, get out and drift. Doesn't pay to sit for 8 or 12 hours waiting for the fish to come to you and catch nothing.When you can drift a mile of river in 2 hours and catch half a dozen. Or cover miles of lake bed in a day.

What you are doing by drifting is increasing your chances of contacting active fish. If you think about it like this: You anchor up, cast out. Your bait has a 3ft to 4ft square area (or slightly larger) that a fish has to swim into to sense your bait and take it.

Now think about that same 3ft to 4ft square area, drifting back and forth over acres of water all day.

Just think about how many more fish could come into contact with your bait over 8 hours. This increases your chances of catching one.

Drifting doesn't mean Dragging bottom either. There are drop-shot rigs you can use in snaggy areas. Long dropper lines with a sinker tied to the end and put your hook 12,24,36 inches above it. If the sinker snags pop it off tie on another. You can drift 5ft or 10ft off bottom. Just try different things till you find what works.

Just some thoughts.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    ancor big man that way i can take a nap

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    For me there is no other reality besides anchoring.

We fish a small to medium sized fast moving river here in rural Se Kansas.

We anchor out in the channel with heavy duty rail iron anchors...with rebar hooks welded on them to secure us in the rocky bottom of the riverbed.

From there...we'll use only as much weight as is needed to keep our bait on the bottom...yet not enough to secure the bait in one spot.

We'll use high capacity reels outfitted with high tensile...yet still thin braid line...and let the bait go with the current...bumping along until it falls into a hole...or lodges behind a rock...or is devoured by a hungry bluecat lying in or behind just such a current block.

To get the bait moving again...all one has to do is tighten the slack...and raise the rod tip...the current buoys it upward...towards the surface.

At this point...release some more line conservatively...and you'll feel your sinker banging along the rock bottom...bouncing off rocks along the way.

All of a sudden...you feel a "Tap"...so you reel up your slack...and slowly raise the tip of the 8' - 10' medium heavy rod to check for pressure on the end of the line.

If it pulls back...set the hook...and start reeling...as the bigger blues and most definately the larger wiper tend to swim towards you when first hooked.

You want to keep as little slack in the line as possible when fighting these fish in the current...they know just what to do to ruin your day.

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It all depends on the time of yr. it is ! Water temp below 50* anchor

12. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I am probably just the opposite of Scott. Down here it is anchor and tie up in the summer, and drift in the winter. The water temp here rarely gets below 50 degrees. Drifting in the summer works here also, and is good for a change of pace, not for big fish but for numbers.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    BOC member Roundhill came in third place at the Cabelas King Kat Classic in 2008 and drifted the whole time. :big_smile:

Oh ya, he came in third in 2007 also, and drifted the whole time then too. :crazy:

Nuff said. :eek:oooh: