Drift Masters

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by RiverKing, Aug 13, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I just had a rod rack built for my boat, and contemplating what rod holders to use..I am leaning towards the driftmasters just cause of how sturdy and strong they are. What angle of rod holder does everyone on here use? I usually anchor up and fish right off the back off the boat. Just wanting to know what everyone on the board prefers.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

By the way right now, and on my old boat I was using Berkely quick set rod holders, which I do like. But them being plastic makes me nervous. I got some expensive reels and use rods that you can barely find anymore, so the last thing i want is one of my rigs to end up in the river , because of a plastic faulty rod holder...Thats the main reason im leaning towards steel holders.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'm using the 25 degree models off the back of my boat.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've got the pro duo's. I believe their 0/35 degree. Work good for crappie (0) or for cattin (35). Hope this helps.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would highly recomend the duo pro models. Excelent for anchored fishing or drifting!

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I use the 25 degree model myself. I love the driftmasters. Just can't bring myself to trust those plastic ones either.

7. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have the pro duo's and love them!

8. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    My last boat i had the plastic Roberts type rod holders and never had a problem. (I did slam a tree along the bank in heavy current and broke one)
    My new boat I rigged with drift masters. Six of them set up on the back of a rod rack. (see boat modifications under Robs Rod Rack). They are working great. Mine are the 25 degree and I would like to try the duo pros I think they are 30 degree or o.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I wouldn't trust a rod holder made of titanium. I too feel I have too much invested in my equipment to trust it to just a rod holder. So, I made some 6' lengths of rope and outfitted them with snaps. I secure one end to the boat and the other goes around the rod in front of the reel. Nope, don't matter what the rod holder is made out of...Jaws will have to pull the boat underwater to get my outfits.

10. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    I've used dual pros for years.

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Have any of you had any trouble with the bases being pulled out? I was reading a review on Cabelas and a guy didn't recommend these rod holders for bigger fish.

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sure, you can't just put three screws in them and expect them to hold. They will get ripped out if not mounted securely. Use Bolts and bolt them to a plate(be it aluminum, steel or, titanium) in some fashion. I have always been one for overkill when it comes to the saftey of my gear.

13. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    driftmaster lil' duo 0 deg & 30 deg in one holder , had my boat rig up with others of differant sorts wasted a lot of money , wish i would of started with these and used the money i wasted on a rod or reel or something . LIVE AND LEARN.

14. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have six of the duo holders on my boat, they work very good never had any trouble with them. i use them if im drifting, or anchored. hope this helps good luck

15. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with dreadnaught. I have an aluminum boat and I am drilling through the rim of the boat and putting bolts with nuts. They would have to jerk the whole side of my boat off to steal my rods. I have the Lil Duo Pro. These are the most versatile of all the drift masters. Great rod holders.

16. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I love my Drift Masters! I have six of them in my boat 25* angle I beleive. I bought all stainless ones and they are tough. I will never fear a rod being pulled out of the boat fron one of them. I have been drift fishing before in the winter and a rod hang up while I was landing a fish one a different rod and it has stopped the boat and just pulled out drag till I could get to the rod. Never even tried to pull the rod out of the holder.