Drift in a jon

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by MattTheFlatCatKid, Nov 22, 2018.

1. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    This is unacceptable guys! I havnt caught a fish at all this month. I got a spot i know of where the water is deep. What i wanna do is drift in my jon boat with cut bait and nightcrawlers. No drift socks i dont have a depth finder my setup is very basic. So any advice would be really helpful and maybe lead to an amazing hookup. I think i will carry an extra pole with a weight on it so i can check the depths of the area i want to drift then go back up river and set my poles up and let the current take me. Ill take an anchor in case i get a bite. I think they will be stacked up in a hole and with the temps still up a little i might get lucky and catch a big flatty. Does anyone with experience drifting blind care to share some advice?

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    If you know where they're stacked up, I'd anchor up on the spot with some cut bait and kick my feet up and wait for the action.

3. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    That would work but im not really sure where they will be. Im gonna use basic information like outside bends and the tip of a wing dam and another structure thats got a really deep hole behind it. That will probably be my first spot since i know its really deep with a good current break. The other problem is i dont know how to keep the boat from spinning and keeping my lines untangled. Im thinking i will mount the trolling motor to the front of my boat so i can fosh from the back and still control the direction of the boat. Its gonna be an interesting experience hopefully successful but if anything i will learn from it.

Mac-b, ramon06 and Catpaw like this.
  4. NW Corner

NW Corner Well-Known Member

State:
    Yakima, Washington
    Name:
    Alex
    Might try dragging a five gallon bucket with a few holes it, as a make shift drift sock?
    We also use chain anchors here. A length of anchor rope with just enough short sections of chain at the end to drag but not snag bottom?

5. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    A drift sock nor 5 gallon bucket will slow you down on the river. The current will take it just as fast or faster than it does the boat. Some have dragged a heavy chain but I do not recommend that. A trolling motor or just anchoring and give each spot 30 minutes is the best answer I can give you.

Tight lines Matt

6. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    I like the idea of dagging a rope with chain. It would definitely stop the boat from spinning around. I know the current will still take me and thats ok so long as its not too fast and i could slow myself down some with the chains. Thanks.

7. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Thanks. Ill bring my anchor i just want to be sure theres fish before anchoring down fpr a while. Hopefully tbis can be acheived by drifting into a hole and getting some bites. Then i will anchor up. The only other places will be spots where i know is deep.

Mac-b likes this.
  8. Fire&Cats101

Fire&Cats101 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jonathan
    A friend of mine uses two separate anchor lines with 10’ of chain attached to steel barbell weights to control drifting speed in current. He positions his boat crossways in the channel to allow setting more lines. He has one at each end of boat to keep the boat straight while drifting that way. They can also be used at each rear corner to allow him to use his trolling rack and drift slower with less boat resistance in the current. He uses different weight plates for different current conditions. The plates are far less expensive than anchors, store easily and slide along the bottom well while still slowing the drift.

I plan to set up a couple of these on my boat before spring.

JByrd and MattTheFlatCatKid like this.
  9. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Be careful dragging an chain in a small Jon Boat. Snag it and current could pull boat under the water in a heartbeat.

10. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
  11. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Hit your uncle up or whoever took you drifting a while back.
    Drifting ain't easy. It looks easy I know. :tongue1:

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.
  12. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    It is especially difficult with not trolling motor and no depth finder. I still think the best bet is to anchor under those circumstances. Even if you just stay in a spot 15 min. Then lift anchor and drift back a hundred feet or so and anchor again. With cold water fishing needs to be slow.

Tight lines.

SHOWME and MattTheFlatCatKid like this.
  13. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    I think I got it figured out :geek:
    IMG_20181123_164317.jpg IMG_20181123_171809.jpg
    IMG_20181123_161222.jpg IMG_20181123_160813.jpg
    6 tootal a double up and a few misses.

Bobp, R. D. Hilton, SHOWME and 8 others like this.
  14. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Thanks everyone. I didn't use the chain setup. Conditions were pretty good and I didn't have any problems. Lots a few good fish though.

SHOWME likes this.
  15. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    He lives 6 hours away!

16. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Well, glad it worked out Matt. Sounds like you did well. What was the water level on the river? High I would guess. The Ohio has been above normal over here almost all year it seems.

MattTheFlatCatKid likes this.
  17. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Its up. Current was kinda strong but it helped kind of. We're getting some rain so I won't be going back out until a warm spell.

Fire&Cats101 likes this.
  18. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    What he ^^^ said..... the drag rope should always be attached to the front of the boat so the bow is facing into the current.

...W

Bobp and MattTheFlatCatKid like this.
  19. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    Man those are purty channels. Wow

(I never worry about you being able to catch fish)

What bait?

20. MattTheFlatCatKid

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Lol thanks. I was starting to worry :cool1:
    Im trying to catch fish at least once a month and i didnt go this month. Kinda figured this was the last good weekend. I caught some creek chubs, they dont count, and used them for bait. Im really excited about tonight and tomorrow tho. The weather is really good up here and i got ahold of some freshly caught skipjack bigger than my arm. Btw why did my phone autocorrect bigger with an N? Is that why we have this :adolf:? Lol good thing i reread everything before posting!