Drift floats anyone

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Stubby, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    If the pictures on these turn out right it may give you old farm boys a new thought on floats. I was watchin the squirels out the back door and of course Momma Sara was gettin ready to change the food sourse for them and I saw dollars hit the trash can. Well, says I to Me, Grandma Hamilton wouldn't have thrown those away. She'da took me fishing down on Bluff Creek and we'da got some bull heads. Now the time has gong by some and I haven't hardly remembered grandma for about 66 years. That would have made Me maybe 6 or 7 then grandma took me fishing. Grand Ma was short-square built and ALWAYS smelled like Life Boy Soap. Thats enough eye washing for now.

I got the corn cobs from the trash can and envisioned a Float. There was actually 3 cobs. I messed one up tying to get a hole thru it. Second one worked better but still not to good. Here's the secret to corn cob floats.
    Gettin' them lengeh you want is simple, lay them on a board and cut them off about 2 to 3 inches long or not. For the hole thru them use about a 4 to 5 inch construction screw thru a board-just push the cob down on the screw and it make a perfect hole thru the center of the soft pulp and cleans it out at the same time. I grabbed a tree branch out of the yard and broke it off for a pin for the hole. I soaked them overnight in the sink and they still float the stinkbait worms ok. I just poked the worm line thru the hole and pinned it. You can figure out how you want to get them on the line but they do work and they are easy to make. I don't intend to copy right or Patent these so make all you care to and even go ahead and perfect the design as needed.
    Total Cost--about four hours of listenin to Sara gripe about me gettin the sink messed up. She really flipped out when I wanted to Dip the Worm to see if it would still float it. Disclaimer--I do not make Worms for sale I just make them for Me.

Attached Files:

2. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    The sink was'nt deep enought to float the worms exactly but the bucket in the yard was.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I get the idea Carl. Make them look natural and you can put out hundreds of them. Then just look around for the warden before you pull one in. Great Idea... but you will probably go to jail for this onel ROTFLMAO But it looks like they will work, if you use them in reason.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    After you get enough of the corn smell gone to keep the carp away they should work great. Go to the golf course and pick up a bunch of broken tees for pins and you may be on to something:wink:.

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    it has been a lot of years sense I've thought of one of those.
    we used to use corncobs as floats for our bank set poles.
    thanks bro for the memories:cool2:

6. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Stubby I think u been smoken sumpin funny out of them cobbs. aint nobody nohow gona mess with an ole corncobb to make a float. u aint been down to kaw lately have ya?

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think the trouble is,everyone has money. I can see during the depression when money was a hard thing to get, people did with what they had. Now days a poor kid can walk along the shore and find a store bought bobber some one was too lazy to retrieve.

I'll remember those corn cobs, so when Bush's recession turns to the big depression, I can make a bobber. Of course I might have trouble coming up with money for seed corn.

:confused2::embarassed::confused2:

8. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Stan, not for the last month-to damn cold for my old bones. Besides I been workin on a new boat I bought and then caught on fire- Burned up the Regulator so we just tore the whole thing apart and made it run sweet.See ya somewhere tho. probably on Kaw, look for the tracker with the white dog in the passanger seat
    Jim .darn'et the cobs weren't to save money. They are for drift fishing either with stink/dip bait or Shad. and they are very efficent as floats and natural color in the water. I make 3 floats out of one cob. Poke the bait line thru the cob with a piece of notched wire then use a golf tee as a plug to hold the float where I want it. You will be surprise how good they float a bait. and the birds clean the cobs for me.

9. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    777 it was you that was on to somethin---thanks it worked