Drift floating live bait for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KYTRAPPER, May 4, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I havent used this tactic much but theres a few spots on the river I fish that I am going to try this a bit. Drifting large live bait by snags and woodpiles. Has anyone else used this tactic with success? I drifted for cats plenty but not for large flats.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never tried it , but does sound interesting.

3. Al Duncan

Al Duncan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    last summer i was drifting large bream heads on a night trip had 4 real nice flatheads and some real good blues alot of fun. I tried live bream but seem to stay hung up maybe if you trim the tailfin so they will not swim so hard have have fun and be safe

4. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    First we tie off well upriver from the snag. I like to tie a small bluegill under a snoopy or a scooby doo float and let them drift down to the snag. The cartoon dog floats seem to do the best.

5. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    A guide we used on Lewisville Lake once told us one of his clients was drifting a fresh dead shad for blue cats and they hooked into there largest fish, a 76 pound flathead. His belief was that the movement from the drifting made the flathead chase the bait. He said in all the years of drift fishing shad, he hasnt hardly caught any flatheads.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This is a good technique.
    Use a small balloon as a float and if you fish at night slip a small Cyalume light stick into the balloon before you inflate it. You don't have to inflate it very much.
    If the water is deep you can set up a slip float type rig otherwise just tie the balloon to the line. Be sure to tie the balloon to the line and NOT the line to the balloon.
    It's pretty exciting when you see that float go under or take off across the surface...W

7. goclemson

goclemson New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    good luck, hope you plan on getting hung a good bit, this seems like it would work pretty well since you can cover a lot of water but I would be scared that all of my rods would get hung at the same time, are you going to slow your boat down by dragging an anchor or just go at the speed of the river?

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well you can add floats to keep your hooks/rigs off the bottom. And you can use a leader that is lighter on your weight so when you hang up, you lose your weight and keep your rig. We make sure our rods are secure, so it doesnt really matter if they all hang up.

We dont hang up near as much as youd think, while drift fishing.

9. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Im actually thinking of using it as a selecive technique. Using one rod at a time and controlling the drift of the bait around and in the snags. The ballon idea sounds good.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    metal man had it rite(great tip on the light brother, is that in the library under metalmans ligthted balloon float system?). balloons are the ticket, we use them all the time. we drift them in edys,in front of creeks and down from the boat to snags. also good for fishing shore on a slow drift to cover new areas when we dont feel like deploying the trot lines. (we use trot lines to test new areas while we are fishing the tried n true spots)

good luck to you, you will enjoy seeing that balloon shoot off. lol

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    use mean genes cat bobber and im gonna start using his glow sticks at nite.dont know about flatys yet but they work great on blues.