Drift fishing

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Stick269, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Stick269

Stick269 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    What's the best way to...rigs, etc...?

2. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i rig a no roll sinker on the bottom of my line and a circle hook about 12 to 18 inches above the sinker and then just float threw the hole your fishing. some times you have to use a drift shock ( i use a 5 gal. bucket) to slow your drift.

3. Stick269

Stick269 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Thanks,

Anyone ever drifted Thunderbird lake?

4. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Try the humps and channel over by the island on Thunderbird.

5. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Stick; We usually choose spots after running over a spot with the locator, then rig 3 rods with 3 different weights to see which one gets the most bites. Rig e'm all the same 7 go to town.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Slip Corks - I like using the big cat bobbers and the new fat cat bobbers that Gene sells on this site. They have a lot of buoyance and will set the hook for you if using circles or kahle hooks. I use this method with favorable results when drift fishing in the boat, letting it drift with the wind or current and also for fishing straight down next to trees at a pre-determined depth. Works well when the fish are suspended up off the bottom.
    RIGGING - Most people use the store bought bobber stops but I have learned on this site a rubber band holds a lot better when using 3 oz. weights or larger. If you are using the store bought then slide it on your main line first and remove the plastic center. Pull the tag ends to snug them but do not tighten yet. Now slide on a bead with a small enough diameter hole that the bobber stop will not slip through it. Now slide on your cork followed by your sinker ( I use no rolls ) then another bead. If you use palomar knots then go ahead and cut your section of leader. I like using 8 to 12 inch leaders when slip cork fishing and will go to 5 inch when fishing with live bait. Tie your leader to your swivel first then tie your swivel to your main line then attach your hook of choice. Now slide your bobber stop to the depth you want to fish and tighten it down and trim the tag ends. Bait it up and your ready to fish.

Cigar Floats/Drifting/Snake Weights - We have a lot of good luck dragging baits 30 to 100 ft. behind the boat. Whether we are drifting with the wind or using the trolling motor this method will produce a lot of fish. Sometimes while drifting we will be dragging baits behind the boat on the bottom, pulling slip corks and also rigging poles fishing straight under the boat at the same time. You can cover a lot of area as well as different depths at the same time. This method will not produce fish when they are suspended because you will be fishing below the fish.
    Rigging - We use what is called a basic Santee drifting rig. I use 2 oz. Snake weights that I make using 1/4 oz egg sinkers a swivel and 15 lb. Line. The line on your weight needs to be light enough that it will break relatively easy if it hangs. To make the weights tie a log length of line to your swivel then slide on 8 1/4 oz. Egg sinkers. On the last sinker wrap the line through and around the last sinker pulling the sinkers tight together. Wrap 5 or 6 times then crimp the last sinker down on the line with a pair of pliers. I will use 3 ft. leaders for this style of fishing and 2 inch cigar floats. 1st slide your drifting weight onto your main line (snake weight or weight that you use) followed by a bead. Now make your 3 ft. leader and tie it to your swivel. Now attach the swivel to your main line. Slide your cigar float onto your leader then tie on the hook of your choice. Peg the cigar float about 5 inches from your hook. As you drag the bait along the only thing that will contact the bottom will be your weight. The cigar float will keep your bait suspended up off the bottom.

Dropper Loops - Another way we will sometimes rig that also works well for us. I will use this method when using one or two hooks on the same line. You can fish this rig on the bottom or at any depth when the fish are suspended off the bottom.
    Rigging - If you are using braid you will need to make this out of mono then attach it to your main line with a swivel. It might work with braid but I haven’t tried it. Attach a 3 oz or larger bank sinker to the end of the line. Go up 1.5 ft. above the sinker and tie a dropper loop, Go up another 1.5 ft. and tie another dropper loop. Now attach the hook of your choice to the drops using a palomar knot. You can drift this rig straight down letting the sinker bounce along the bottom or you can fish it up off the bottom at the same depth the fish are located on your sonar.

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City

Do you have pictures of the rigs you are talking about?

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I need to take the time to tie them up and take some pictures to post. All three methods will produce fish year round in a lake or river, drifting with the current, wind or just using the trolling motor.

9. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I can't wait to see.

10. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This approach will differ depending on the Lake or river you are fishing. I hate to quote someone else but find em then give em something to eat and good things will follow.
    I fish with catfish guides in several states, but none fish my lake. I use and adapt to some of their methods, find out what works for you. Drift socks are a must. Learn to control drift by using different sock anchor points and motor angle. Drifting is a major plus for us relaxed folks. However when you drift a hot spot, mark it and go over and over it.
    Best advice I can give, Try it.
    Keep them lines wet