Drift Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 12, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I may have lived a sheltered life, but don't think so ... I wonder and would like to see some discussion on Drift Fishing for cats vs. Anchored fishing.

Drift fishing is completely new to me for cat fishing. The only drift fishing I have done or really seen done was for Walleye, Pike, Crappie, Bluegill and White Bass. Then it was only used as a tool for locating the fish and then would anchor and fish the area they were located in. Let me hear from you all.....

2. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Drift fishing is new to me this season too. I would like to see what people got to say about that question. From recent posts i have read seem to be a good way to find fish because you can cover a whole lot more water.

4. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I fish the mississippi and theres alot of current so if i drift ill be moving along pretty fast. Is that a good thing? Or do you want to go as slow as possible.

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Drift fishing don't work, don't anyone try it your wasting your time. I have fished for 35 years and never caught a fish drifting.. :eek:oooh:

The Mississippi River I have fished and drift fishing does work on that big water fast conditions, you just need to keep a close eye on your line on the fish finder to know where drop offs are or structure. We are going to have a class on drift fishing this spring on the Ohio river some of you may want to attend that has never done this before.

Gene Chambers AKWOLF will be doing the drift fishing for the show !

Oh by the way drift fishing don't work..LMAO :confused2:

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Why do I want to watch a program on a non fish catching technique? I could watch the Loanwizard fish flatheads and get more outta him, lol.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I tired drifting for the first time today on the lake, didn't catch a thing, but didn't catch them any other way either. I am glad I learned the basics of the technique today, and I cant wait to try it on the river...Thanks Catcrazed!:wink:

8. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I drift in the summer time with good results. What my partner and I do is with our gps we will find the river channle and drift over that. If you can drift over a bend in the channle you will get into them. Go up wind and throw out your drift sock, wait untell your boat has straitend out and then trow your poles in. You want to make sure you are not going faster than 1 mile an hour. You can also drift the mouth of a cove with good results.

9. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Another thing when you are drift fishing a resovior you want to make sure you have quite a bit of line out. That way when you drift over a hole or creek/river channle your bait will stay on the bottom. When your drifting a river you want your bait right under the boat. In your setup make sure your weight is under your hook. Drag your weight on the bottom and that will keep your bait off the bottom.

10. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know for a fact when the time is right, drifting is a lot more affective than anchored fishing. Learned this this past year (2007). As you know we had little to no current for a lot of the year if you were fishing the ohio. When I anchor fish i am depending on the current to take the smell of skipjack, shad, or whatever the bait may be, to the fish downstream. Well with the year we had in 2007, that was not workin for us at all. I simply went and bought a trolling motor for my catfishing boat and drifted over fish i was marking on my graph. Trust me this is an affective way to fish when there is no current. Very hard to do without 2 people onboard for the simple fact that the least bit of current and wind, you are constantly on the trolling motor to hit a pinpoint spot. When poles get hung up or start to get hung its nice to have that second guy there to get the pole. If not, when you do leave the trolling motor, before you know it you are way off from the spot your trying to fish. To be quite honest when it comes to fishing the river drifting is a pain in the a$$. I will say it is not really an easy way to fish but i caught many blues over 20lbs and a few over 30lbs in 2007 drifting. No doubt about it when fishing the river i would rather have current and anchor but if not, I am not afraid to drift fish. My 2 biggest blues have come when drifting! Now when fishing a lake that say doesnt have much bottom structure, I couldnt think of a better way to cover ground and catch channels and blues. Every guide on Santee cooper resevoir drift fishes due to the lack of current in the lake. I have the videos, these guys are catching them by the truck load drift fishing.

11. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's a question(s) for those with drift fishing experience:

What are the typical depths you are seeing and catching blues while drifting? Do you ever run plainer boards to cover more water? Does anyone target shallow blues in deeper water or even up against the bank?

Part of the reason I'm asking is the more I learn about blue fishing the more it reminds me of striper fishing, and those are some of the ways I fished for strips a few years back.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I do know drifting is a reliable method. Most of the big stringers at the larger tourneys are brought in by drift techniques. I just have to stir the pot every now an then LOL. Up at Dillon or Buckeye Lake, the best way to catch fish is drifting. Those guys can fill a cooler drifting, while I can anchor up and catch one in 8 hrs if I'm lucky.

13. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    cincycat
    Drift wherever you see the fish! I know that you say you fish in a marina sometimes, that would be perfect in my opinion if there is not 2 many boats out there. When there is no current in an area that is where I like to drift. If you think about it, in the marina more than likely there isnt much current or am i wrong? The smell of the bait is just hanging around in one spot and your waiting for a fish to come along and get it which is not a bad thing to do cause i see you have been tearing them up like that. But if you would just use a trollin motor and just troll around in the marina with a piece of cutbait suspended off of the bottom wherever you mark the fish you can cover a lot more area. When the river had little to no current, i thought well the current isnt going to take the smell of the bait to the fish like when there is current, so just take it past there face. I know that when there is current i don't evan think about drifting, but when there is none I myself think it is the best way to go.

14. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    We drift alot for blues on kerr lake,don't have any experence on rivers. Us a drift sock or buckets off the side to slow down to around .5mph,the slower the better. I use 6 rods w/carolina rigs (1'-3'leader,1oz barrel, 6-8 circle hook) add a 2.5" float 4-6" from the hook sometimes. Right now the fish seem to like crappie for bait. Been catching 9-20lb blues in 35-45' depth drifting near a channel 60-70 deep, water temps 42-44 degrees.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Do the same thing you do for walleye. And it will work.
    Also do a search on it theres hours of reading about it on here.
    Most times I can and do catch more fish controlled drift fishing over anchor fishing. That is if the fish are scattered.
    I am not a pro at it. But if you were closer I would sure show you what I know about it.
    Pete