Drift Fishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Chalk, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Well I have been getting advice on Drifting so today I went and tried my luck at it. Got down to Monty around 11am today and started drifting, I had frozen shad for bait which I don't like but that is what I had. I had better luck with not getting hung up but just could not catch any fish. I finally caught one fish maybe a pound or two but nothing else. I did miss two that got on but spit the hook after I started reeling them in. What is it you guys look for before deciding to drift an area?? Not sure what I'm doing just yet with this drift fishing. Anyway I will try again soon I hope and I attached the pic of the only one I caught today.

Attached Files:

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I look for areas without alot of trees.

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Look for some kind of bottom structure, a hump, a channel ledge. Also look for bait in the area.

4. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Drifting is somewhat of an exact science on a changing playing field.
    We like to have a variety of weight and line size that alow us to vary the depth we are presenting baits. Speed control is important also and can be managed with a drift sock or even a 5 gal bucket on a rope. We also use a small trolling motor mounted Mid ship, on those days or nights when the wind isn't just right. Ya can slow down your progress or speed up to match what they want.
    The electronics wil tell ya a lot about where they might be and where the bait balls are hanging. Seems to me we spend alot more time hunting schools of shad than fish but one seems to relate to the other.
    Wish I could share the silver bullet but it is just alot of trial and error. When you finally find them most of the catchable fish are going to be in the same pattern.
    Suspended a few feet off the bottom or hanging tight to a break, maybe even surface feeding on cut bait from the ski boat traffic.
    Dragging the bottom with heavy weight will keep you entertained re riging ,but fishing where they are saves us a lot of frustration.

Good luck and get after them.

5. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Monticello is a tough lake to get started up on. If you are close to Wateree you might consider giving it a try sometimes. Wateree can be a good deal more generous and that will build your confidence. I have done a bucket load of drifting and my Monty tournament results were the same as yours today.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'll second that one.Monticello is not a good lake to cut your teeth driftin on.I know it might be a longer ride but the closest to you besides Monticello is Wateree, Greenwood, and Wylie and all of those are good lakes to get the hang of driftin.

Theres alot of trees and alot of depth in Big Mon and if you dont know excactly what to look for you will be retying rigs and scratchin your head quite often.

7. crappie capt.

crappie capt. New Member

State:
    Rock hill s.c.
    chalk,the first time I put in at monty,we caught over 225# of blues.Ive been back about 4 times and have not come close to that catch. been skunked once. I think when they draw tha water down it has an affect on the fish.

8. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    that is true chris but last time I went to greenwood I retied quiet a bit.:eek:oooh:
    cant say much about wateree I have only fished it from the bank except for striper fishing then I was anchored.

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Lake Wylie is an excellent choice for drifting channels esp in the spring around 1st week in May. The fish ave 5 pounds (not trophy) but very scrappy and multiple fish on is not uncommon. The winter drift is OK but not electrifying like the spring/fall.

10. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    wateree and wylie are surely easier to drift and get used to controlling your boat speed and locating fish and structure,speed plays a big part in drifting,a gps is just about a must to monitor your speed,monty can be real good to you drifting,but that lake has more wind than others because the lake sits up high,the winds seem to shift alot also,and as others said,there is alot of timber in there just like santee,you will get hung up alot until you figure it out,but it can be awful rewarding and as mudkip said its hard to beat wylie and greenwood for channel cat action,they will definately keep you busy when you get on em:big_smile:

11. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    I can feel your pain.Alot of the guy's that have been coming into the Bait shop and thats what they have been talking about. They were telling me about the numbers and size of the fish they were catching. So it has tore my nerves up. So I had to go try it as well. I had them tell me how and where they were drifting so I talked John Lee Williams into going with me. We caught 3 fish about 2 or 3 lbs. But that just fueled the fire I went back the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and caught 8 fish 3 to 4 lbs. I went back last Friday and the water was white capping so I had to get behind some trees to break the wind I finally had to anchor the boat because of the wind but I had found fish with the gragh and it paid off. 30 and a 20 lbs fish. I was using herring for cut bait. Anyway I am learning just like you on this drifting thing. Stop by and see me.

12. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    I will stop by and see you , I called and came by several times trying to get bait the day before and the day of but never could catch you.

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    The drift is working well on Wateree. Fish size varies(2 - 7pounds) but you never know when the bull of the woods is gonna come calling. Bait = gizzard shad/cut up Depth = 22-40 feet Location = mouth of Colonel Creek toward Clearwater Cove.

I cleaned 14 nice small blues for a fish fry tonight. Could have taken more but not needed. Fish were spaced apart but slammed when hooked up. ONLY one channel cat.

If you can give it a try Chalk I don't think you will be disappointed. BTW, I caught bait right in front of the bridge at Colonel Creek with an 8 foot cast net. I mention that because I saw some guys who were having trouble with a small net. Bait was real easy to get. Fishing time 0730 - 1430. Wind got nasty--I just added another drift sock...speed 0.7 - 1.0 in a 10-15 mph afternoon wind. There you go, I think that about covers it.:wink:

14. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Thanks for the info I will give it a try. The site is wonderful thanks to great people like you.

15. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    There are a lot here willing to help. We are going the make the BOC the best web site for catfish on the WWW.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...We are going the make the BOC the best web site for catfish on the WWW..."

Some of the best catmen, and women, in the country frequent this site. Lots of information to share and lots of folks willing to help other folks out.

:wink:

17. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Sorry I was not here work has been wearing me out I have had to work over aevery night this week. I came home this evening and found that my well pump had gone out. I was glad we had already sold all the bait or I would be having a dead fish sale. I will get a new pump tommorow and will be back in business. The best way to get me is to call 864-427-3500. see ya soon.