Drift Fishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Chalk, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    I have never done much drift fishing but would like some advice on it. Everytime I have tried I get hung up and end up breaking my lines our can only fish with one rod since I have so much trouble. I would like to do some drifting on Monticello so could any of you please give me some tips on rigging to avoid the hang ups etc...... Any advice will be greatly appreciated.:big_smile:

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Kevin, I guess the 1st thing is. Can ya tell me what your rigging looks like from line to hook? and I see you choosen to not recieve PM's. You might want to change that.:wink:

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Kevin... done some drifting over the years..... several poles out is tough.... I say have one rig set with a float and stop, and then hand hold another and "feel" the bottom with the lead, and keep it up some off the bottom.... reading the depth finder helps to know what is comming up... thats is one way to do the drift..... maybe have a "break away sinker" that is easily replaced it it gets hung up..... several poles in the boat helps.... one at time if one gets hung up, break off and go for the next.....

bayrunner ray

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have found the most of times I'm hung up, it is the sinker doing the hanging. The area I fish has rocks and dead timber laying on the bottom. The hook is generally high enough off bottom to avoid the trash, but the sinker isn't. Try to tie the sinker on with something like 6 lb. test line. You'll loose a lot of sinkers, but it is no way as frustrating as loosing the whole rig.

5. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Thanks Pop I think I turned the pm on now, didn't realize I had it off. I usely use a bell sinker and below that I have about a 18" leader with a small float right before the bait. I still have lots of problems drifting though. I'm sure you guys have some better ways to do this. Thanks to all who have offered up good advice I will try each next time out.

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Kevin
    I stayed away from drift fishing for a long time simply because I wasnt sure on how to do it. Wasnt long before I hooked up with a few of these guys on here that put me in the right direction and now I do as much or more drifting than anchoring down. Roundhill and Blackwaterkats showed me about using the drift sinkers (slinky weights) and these things really work. Try using about a 1oz. slinky weight, three ft. of leader, ( i use 50lb mono) 2 inch float pegged about 8 inches from a circle hook of your choice. You can experiment with how much line you let out behind the boat but Ive found that if I let out too much , I hang up more. These ole Carolina boys are a pretty good bunch of fellas and they dont mind showing you how things are done.....

7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i use that rig all the time at santee with 8 rods out and very seldom get hung but i do get hung up. im wondering about the weight size you are running. i use 2oz bell type sinker and maybe a little longer leader up to 3-4 ft with a 3" crappie cork about 6" from the bait. i will admit that there is some areas that you just not going to drift in due to so much structure. when i get in shallow water say less than 15 ft i move back to a 1 oz. the slinky weights looks good but i just havent had to use them yet. also at times the leader lenght will be the difference from catching fish and not catching fish on some days. the number one thing i have seen that didnt work for me was drifting with flourscent colored lines in daytime fishing. get you one of them tackle bags with the little plastic zip lock bags in it and tie you up plenty of leaders before you go. i wont leave the bank without 20 leaders tied up myself. sometimes i come back with 18, sometimes i come back without any. its the nature of the beast when it comes to differnt lakes though.

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Slinky weights are the ticket. You can buy the material to make your own online. Do a search for slinky cord online.

10. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    i also use the slinky type weights for drifting,they are truly the way to go,i make mine also,if you are ever up rock hill way,you can buy all the stuff you need to make them at catawba marine and tackle on india hook road,he sells the para cord,i usually by mine 50ft at a time,and he sells the buckshot to fill em with,some people use the .250 but i like the .240 he sells,it goes in a whole lot easier,he sells some already made up for $1 apiece,you can buy the stuff and make em cheaper,his usually has 13 pellets in his,i like mine heavier,i usually put 18 in some and 21 in others depending on the test line and diameter i am using,he also sells the 2in cigar floats in bags of 100 with a wide variety of colors,it takes some time to make em up,but it is worth the time and effort,i usually make up about 40 to 50 at a time and that will last a good while,dont forget your snap swivels,i have everything made up and put into a little baggie,except for the hook,i just like to tie my hook on when i tie the rig on,because at times you may wanna vary with your hook sizes,,i make my leaders mostly out of 50lb cajun red and a few i will make out of 30lb,with each pack individually labeled for quick selection,i like my leader length from 30 to 36 inches,with the float 6-8 inches above hook,just remember drift speed is the key to it all,when drifting you needa good gps to monitor your speed,ideall between .4 and .8 mph

11. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I agree with Foxhound slinky weights and a three ft. leader and bobber in the way to go. I use this with six rods out and have little trouble with snags. i make my own slinkys and even sell them around the lakes at Santee. Thats the way to go!
    GARY