Drift Fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by mikey823, Aug 24, 2007.

1. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a friend that drifts for channel cats with 3 poles, I thought you could only use 2 poles. He said that drifting is considered trolling and 3 rods are legal. I could look it up in the fishing rules and regs. but haven`t gotten around to it yet. Is he legal or not?
    :confused2:

2. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Mike, It all depends on where you are fishing at. Some places have a 2 pole limit, some places don't.

On waters without the 2 Poles and lines Fishing Only restriction, up to 50 hooks in total may be used legally on devices permitted under a sport fishing license. Legal devices include: bank poles and lines, dip nets, throw lines, trot lines, buoyed devices (jug fishing), gigs, spears, bow and arrow, and bow and arrow devices. No more than two untagged sport fishing devices (no more than 50 hooks total) under the angler’s immediate control are allowed. Each legal device more than two, up to 50 hooks total, must be tagged with the angler’s name and address. If attached to a tree, the device must be attached to the main trunk below the water line.

This is straight out of the 2007 Digest for Illinois.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont know about your state but where i fish we use 8 rods to drift with....no limit here.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I only use 2 rods, regardless of where I am fishing. I have trouble giving full attention to more rods.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I believe there is a two pole limit here in PA. I agree with the other person I couldnt keep up with all those poles. Probably can keep up with three at the most especially when you drift fishing. I do bring three rods with me. In case of line malfunction, snags or other mishaps.

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Here in Kansas you have to pay extra for a third pole. I paid, but I don't think I ever used it. I also bring an extra rod because I am a malfunction magnet.

7. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    icarry more than 2 but only fish with 2. easier to keep up with

8. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I normaly drift with 8 - 10 rods with two people on the boat i cant ever remember having more than three hooked up at once but I look forward to the day that all of the Abu Garcia clickers sing at once.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul with several rigs out and three or more hook ups, at once, that could become a neat nightmare. I would think it would take a week to untangle everything. I hope you get your dream. I wish I could be around to film it.:smile2: