Drift Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by brother hilljack, Jul 3, 2007.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have been wanting to do some drift fishing on the Ohio River (Louisville to Leavenworth areas) and was hoping that some of you could provide me with some good information on techniques and equipment. Any and all information is welcome. Information on how to set up the boat would be extremely helpful. Of course the location of good holes wouldn't hurt either! Thanks

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I do a lot of drift fishing in a lake using the wind. When i lived in Pa, I drift the delaware river a lot. I found it productive, things to consider is speed of the drift and control, i use my trolling motor to keep me on my drift line, in lakes i use a drift sock to slow my drift down so the bait is kept in the strike zone, There are several brands of drift weights that can be purchased, but i use a design i made up using silicone aquarium tubing ( take a swivle and a bass casting sinker, tie it together with a length of line about 6" long , then cut the tubing just about 1/2" longer than the weight and swivle , feed the swivle and line through the tube covering the top part of the sinker, and 1/2 of the swivle leaving the top eye exposed you may need to cut back the tubing to expose the eye of the swivle) use the drift weight in a carolina rig, your weight choice according to the depth and speed, use just enough weight to keep the bait down in the strike zone. Drift fishing in lakes allows you to cover more ground and produce a sent trail for the fish. I'm sure there are other boc members here that can help out more, This what i do.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Shane, I drift fish the Ohio regularly with good results. I use a three way rig, usually with a five ounce bank sinker and a hook dropper two feet above that with a 9/0 Cat Maxx J hook. I will use any number and type of baitfish from shad cut or whole to live gills. Some places tend to be better producers than others on the Ohio, I prefer the deeper water in the outside bends. The deep water tends to help prevent snagging and holds good fish most times. I will put out 2 to 6 rods scattered on the boat, usually with a couple at the bow, two in the middle and two at the rear. I will drop my sinker down to the bottom and maintain constant contact with the bottom. It helps to watch your depthfinder and adjust with the fluctuations on the bottom. Any fluctuation more than a couple of feet will require an adjustment. Drifting can be a lot of work, but when you go through a school of blues and four rods snatch double at once, it makes it all worth while. Good Luck, Vern.

4. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the advice. I will giving it my first try sometime this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to post some nice pictures! Do you just allow the current to keep keep you moving or are you assisting it with a trolling motor?

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Shane, I just let the wind/current take me where it may. If there is a strong wind or current, a trolling motor can be very usefull in slowing the drift and controlling the direction you are going in. The slower you go the better the bite tends to be, at least for me anyway. Vern

6. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I will be putting in tomorrow in West Point on the Salt River and heading West on the Ohio. It will be my first experience at "drift" fishing. The temp is supposed to be extremely hot...........hopefully something will be biting. PLEASE NOTE, I AM STILL OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS IN REGARDS TO DRIFT FISHING OR GOOD HOLES IN THAT AREA! Don't be afraid to give your secrets to a "rookie"

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A good quality fish finder is a must when drifting. I was fortunate to do this a couple times this year and was able to see our baits on the graph and watch fish moving in to check the baits. Sometimes there was takers and sometimes not, but it sure gets the adrenalin flowing.

8. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I tried the drift fishing thing and had no luck. Could it be that the fish are not biting? Perhaps is has been too hot. What kind of luck are others having the past couple of days?

9. sugarfoot47

sugarfoot47 New Member

State:
    ky
    We havent been out since last fri night.We have been doing real well.Last thurs. four over 20 and one over 50.Loss one very large flat.Been having all are luck on very large bluegills ( 5 to 7in) and large gizzard shad.(7 to 12in.)Drifting 18 to 30 foot deep over 60 foot of water after dark or 5 foot off the bottom in 60 foot of water durning the daylight hours..Or watch the fishfinder and place your bait 5 feet under the bait fish.Those big blues will suspend in low water flow at night.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Just a welcome to the BOC from Missouri Callie.

11. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I Like to drift with the current and wind also and using a 3-way swivel i use dead minnows or even small chunks of cutbait.. I have a bell sinker for the weight and use a 3 foot leader for that and on the other side of the swivel i use a 2 foot leader with 3-0 to 5-0 hook depending on what i use for bait and it works great drifting along bouncing the sinker on the bottom and raising the sinker and bait slowly as i go along...works like a charm and can use anywhere you goto fish...:big_smile:

12. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have not had too much with drift fishing, going out again tomorrow evening. Has anyone been catching anything, if so what is the bait of choice?

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Wolfie,
    What kind of fish finder do you have? I wish I had a fish finder that I could see my bait on,and watch the fish move in to check my bait.
    Glenn

14. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    What kind of fishfinder are you using.......I need something to help me catch fish this year!

15. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Shane, I have an older eagle unit, but I have actually seen fish take my bait on it. Vern