Drift fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rookie12, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Anyone ever heard of draggin' a piece of chain of small anchor to drift instead of a drift sock? Heard someone talkin' about it the other day and just wondered if anyone here ever tried it.

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nope...never heard of that

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Chain anchors are popular with some river fishermen. The chain doesn't hold tight against the bottom, but slows the downstream drift. Its also a bit safer than anchoring in swifter water. Chains, being narrow, and somewhat slick, don't hang us as bad as an anchor can. In salt water, many use a piece of chain between the anchor and the rope. I'm not sure how well the chain anchor would work for drift fishing a lake. You may have to carry different size chains, depending on wind conditions.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    When driftfishing in a current drift socks do no good. They are simply psuhed by the current as fast as the boat. So to slow your drift in river you need to drag a chain. The longer amount of chain you have, the more resistance it will create and the slower you will travel. You can also let more line out and that will slow you down more too. You can adjust your speed pretty well with this method.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is what a Trolling motor comes in handy for.
    Pete

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The small,shallow black water rivers of the Southeast were often fished by "Paddle Boats".These were a specially designed boat that paddled easily in the currents of these rivers.A log chain was often hooked to the bow and allowed to drag along,This acted much as a "Sea anchor".This allowed you to slowly fish downstream.The heavier the chain,the slower the drift.Some liked a heavy chain with a rope running from beside the fisherman to tied on the chain 2-3 feet from the boat.By snatching on this you could move on or speed up your drift.A straight piece of chain rarely hangs up.This works with canoes.John boats and larger take a lot of heavy chain to work.peewee-williams

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Yep, at a minimum of a hundred bucks plus $60 for the battery, then there's the charger. Chains are cheap, as are drift socks in comparison.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

But I can control the boat better. And also will not scatter a school of fish like the chain dragging.
    Yes I have fished both ways. And will take the trolling motor any day.
    OOHhh yes mine takes 2 batters at $62.50 and the 65 lb trolling motor is way more.
    Have a great day.
    Pete

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Those old boys dragging those chains would have thought that you was"city slicker fishing" with that trolling motor.I bet you use a rod and reel instead of a cane pole.Ain;t it nice?peewee-williams

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I couldn't live without that Abu 6500 and Shakespeare Big Water Ugly Stick I bought, but, sometimes, I think fishing has gotten a bit too complicated and there's too much influence from the bass boys. I've seen the old timers bring in some cats on a cane pole that most these days think can't be handled on anything less than a Tiger stick and a 7000 loaded with 65 lb braid.

As for dragging that chain or using drift socks, those are skills, like the old timer subtly moving his jon boat with a short paddle, that are equals to all the modern gadgets we put on our boats. Used right, those guys out fish everyone.

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well drag that chain and remember to keep a line out behind the chain as well it can turn on fish as well. I use and old log chain about 5 feet but lost that lost year need to set up one more here soon.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Thanks Tim, that's good information about the chain turning fish on. I can see that it would stir up edibles from the river or lake floor. Good to see the pros using an old time technique.

13. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am sitting here looking at my hand carved,custom made to fit me little paddle made of the heart wood out of a Bald Cypress.I have eased along with one hand and that little paddle while fishing a 16 foot Calcutta bamboo pole with the other for hours and miles in a paddle boat.The blade is slightly oval for strength.Also longer and narrower to work closer to the boat without scrubbing the side of the boat. I have yet to find a trolling motor as quiet.You just had to be careful with that hand if you were fishing where they had a tame Gator of any size.It would attract them.If I still had that strength in my arms today.Oh,if I had only realized how good I had it.I just took it for granted.You would fish bait until you ran out and then top water lures and spinner baits with that cane pole.Come to think of it,I believe that I was off in the Navy before I had my first store bought paddle.peewee-williams

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Being the chain was always upstream of the boat in the river current,it was probably putting out a chum line of disturbed stuff down stream where we fished.I have never thought or seen one used in a lake where you could fish behind it as the wind blew you along.I bet it would beat a sea anchor in most every way.How deep can the water be and still work OK?peewee-williams