Drift Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by redbone, Sep 3, 2009.

1. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    hey guys I have heard about this style of fishing. from a friend who went with a guide on the sante cooper in carolina. can some one explain in red neck terms how it is exactly you do this type of fishing ?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I love to drift fish, but the Chattahoochee is a tough nut! There is a lot of submerged structure in the river and it makes drifting pretty hard work. I have had my best success in the main channel because that is the "cleanest" location, but that is not where the best fish are.

Here is a decent link for beginers at drifting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-pThE07ig

3. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    YOU da MAN !!

4. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Just trying to help a brother out! Drifting the hooch may be the secret to success for a while.

5. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I love to drift fish the hooch and have had lots of success doing it.
    I drift the river bends inside and outside creek channels where they connect to the main river channel and flats.

6. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    I am just tring to still grasp the concept. When drift fishing dont you want the boat to move slightly slower than the current ? so the scent is traveling down range ! What if there is no current ? Trolling motor use ?????

7. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    trolling motor, drift sock, or drift "bucket". What ever you got. The general rule is that you want to move between .4 and .7 mph. So it is fast enough that you can feel yourself moving, but you are not getting anywhere in a hurry.

If the current is too strong. I use a drift chain to slow me down and keep my boat on course.

8. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    Ok I read a little more today. I think I have the concept down now. This is totally different that any way i have previously fished. but hey that is what it is all about right sharing and tring new things. I will try this out the next few times I go and post my results. Who, what , where and when. Who knows maybe I will be teaching alabama catman another thing about catfishing.......It never gets old :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    The drifting works but I end up snagging more with that method. I have tried it about three times this year with success on all three tries but have lost a lot of hooks. God I love to tie hooks and stuff on constantly...

10. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    I agree that is alot of fun. As long as fish are coming in the boat regular I dont mind it....... it is when you are not catching anything that it starts to get bad.

11. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I love to drift or troll,but if there is a snag I will find it,I like to do a slow drift for cats and crappie.:big_smile:

12. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    OH REDBone ...I try to teach you a little something and let you learn that all catfish are not flat and there ya go again bumping them chops...I know you haven't forgot the last tournament that fast..I brought 4 times the fish to the scales then you did...lol and it was a 5 fish limit..lol and there is no need to talk about the weight But as usual I'll let you get back under this wing again if you need too...lol

13. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I sure do love this friendly competition. I bet both of you are geared up for the next one. Got any secrets stored away. Don't think I will make it out on Friday. Have not had time to put the boat back together. Anyone fishing saturday or sunday?

14. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    I just can't believe after all these years that I have spent trying to make a cat fisherman out of you. The countless tutoring lessons and trips to every body of water big enough to fish with in 100 miles of here. That you were able to spank that dunkie MO':crazy: . But ya did . Relish it. It Rarely happens this way. :cry: And as usual if you want another lesson or the latest fishing report the price remains the same. a cold Coors light and a tailgate to sit on.:big_smile_2:

15. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i drift my local river and also the msippi when i get the chance. here's my setup. with a 3-way swivel on the main line i tie a 12 to 18 inch hook leader(50#). on the other eye of the swivel i tie a 12 to 18 inch sinker leader (20#) 2 to 4 oz bank or cannonball sinker depending on current. face the boat upstream and use the trolling motor (hand control variable speed works best) to slow the boat to where you can bounce the weight on the bottom and the rig stays downstream enough to be not more than 45 degrees angle ahead of you. every time you lift the weight it travels a foot or so downstream.
    blue cats face upstream and wait for their food to come down with the current. nothing like a 50# blue slamming your rig while you're bouncing along. some folks like circle hooks for this method but i've missed alot of fish with them. i prefer 5 to 10/0 kahles for drifting. hope this helps and good luck.

16. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    Thank you fishstick . Excellent post !!

17. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    Fishstick,
    Just looked you up. I was born and raised in Texarkana, Texas. Grandfather and Uncle were commercial fishermen . ( mom's side )
    I grew up on the sulphur and red rivers. Fished millwood alot also. Nice to met a " home boy" in here.

18. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Hey redbone have you tried drifting yet and if so how did you do.
    I was in south Carolina this past week end and they do it alot different up there than I do but it works for them.