drift fishing

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by longhaulpointer, Jul 10, 2009.

1. longhaulpointer

longhaulpointer New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just read kisini's post on 7-9 on the river and was wondering if anyone could explain to me the techniques of drift fishing on the river. I just got a boat this year and have never had one before. I have put in at schmidt field a couple of times this year but not had much luck, so i'm always looking for new techniques. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Terry, I am sure there are several ways od doing it. But I always find the drop off into the main river channel and drop a line off each side of the boat till it touches bottom and then reel it up a few turns. Pour a cup of coffee and kick back and try to follow the drop off with the troll motor, (using tm only for steering). The guy I fish a lot with likes to use a bobber for drifting but I never use one myself. Seems we both do about the same on hookups. For some reason even tho I catch fish drift fishing I really don't care for it that much.

3. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    yea thats pretty much it couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I myself cant stand to do it, but like it or not in the dog days of summer, when the river turns into a huge lake, its a must especially for blue cats, Above poster explained it pretty well, its really that simple. A 3 way rig with a drop sinker will allow you to get a little more ballzy, and keep your bait near or on the bottom without hanging up so much. Vary your depths to find out where the active fish are at. But sometimes like tonight, you can hit them in the face with the bait all night long and they wont touch it...:angry::angry::sad2:

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had good luck drifting lately, but it would be much better with a descent fish finder. Right now I just look for a stretch of river around a 1/2 mile long that looks good for some reason or another. If you can find a nice bend in the river those tend to work well. I try to drift around .5 MPH or less so it will take an hour or so to do the 1/2 mile stretch then I try to make myself head to a new stretch I think will work.

6. longhaulpointer

State:
    ohio
    i'm gonna give it a shot, the only thing i caught last time out was a pole off the bottom with my anchor, wasn't even a good reel:angry:, might get some use out of the pole.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Terry. The people here will help you catch more and bigger fish. Andrew

8. longhaulpointer

State:
    ohio
    more and bigger fish would be great, heck i'd be happy with more poles and better reels!

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We all would my friend....LMAO!!:smile2::wink:

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Terry. I'm sure you will get some good answers here.