DRIFT FISHING WITH 2 FISH HOOKS?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by team salmon, Apr 12, 2009.

1. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Can anyone tell me if there is an effective way to drift fish with 2 hooks? Where I fish there are lots of flathead as well as channels and I'm drifting on a resevoir. I would like to be able to drift cut bait and some small sunfish at the same time. A drawing or pic would be helpfull if someone could do either. Thanks!!

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I don't have a picture, but I start out with 2 3 way swivels. Tie one on the mail line. then I tie a piece of line on the bottom of that one say around 24" long then the second 3 way swivel. Then off the bottom a piece of line smaller then the other. This I make about 12" long for the sinker. I use 8 lb test that way if the sinker hangs up its easy to break off.
    Then off both 3 way swivels I tie on a leader for my hooks. If theres no current I tie the hook as close to the swivel as I can. But if theres current I make it longer. Fishing a lake with no current or a river when theres no current. The short leader allows you to feel the fish as soon as he picks the bait up.
    But in current the longer leader allows me to catch more fish.
    Pete

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I second what Pete said. It's probably the easiest way to do it. I don't drift two hooks, but I drift up to 6 rods, and I will try different baits and presentations on them until I find what the fish prefer that day.

4. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I was thinking about placing a three way and then use the stem off a slip float to keep the bait held out away from the main line with cut bait and then go ahead and run a barrel, bead, and bullet weight then a 10inch leader to place the live bait at the end. The only thing is I'd have to use a big enough weight to keep the live bait from out swimming my drift rig. I'd have to place the "carolina" rig down from the 3 way a min. of probably 2 1 1/2 ft but then I'd have the cut bait suspended and the live bait would be about 3 ft behind it - I figure if they miss the cut bait the live bait should be a good second chance - plus that would allow for targeting flathead/blues and channels at the same time.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Like I posted if theres current theres no reason for a float on the leader. And for me if theres no current theres no leader. Been working for 30+ years. But I can and have been wrong lots of times.
    Pete

6. fowlnfish

fowlnfish New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Love fishin with 2 hooks! :smile2:
    [​IMG]
    I snelled both hooks, no weight, bout 8 feet off shore, baited with crawlers.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

8. fowlnfish

fowlnfish New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I was, the other had a bass lure on it. :smile2: Actually I don't usually run 2 hooks, I was messing around cause I knew the little guys were going crazy.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I think I would also rather use more rods vs. doubling up on a single line but I will give it a shot.

Depending on how far apart you want your two hooks to be, here is one way. Use a slinky drift rig but make a snelled stinger rig. You can spread the hooks out a little more than the normal but I wouldn't make them 2' apart, maybe under a foot would be fine.

I cant say you will do good with the flatheads but the channels you can do really good with just single hooks and multiple rods, say maybe 6 or so. If you have a really clear bottom you would be ok but 2 hooks in snags is worse.

-Jim-