Drift fishing The Arkansas River at Dardenelle

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Smellycat, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Well, I posted on another thread that my son in law and I are going to drift fish at the Dardenelle dam the weekend of the 28th. If anyone else goes, look us up. We will drift fish at night in a green Grizzly Tracker. We may be the only ones out there so we should be easy to spot.
    Just can`t stand it anymore, have to fish!

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I wish you luck, Dennis. Are you going to be drifting below the powerhouse? I've done pretty well there at times. I seemed to get most of my fish when I first dropped my bait to the bottom, or when we passed over the hole even with the fence of the parking lot turnaround.

3. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    We'll be camping Friday and Saturday night (next weekend). Maybe they'll stop releasing so much by then.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i bet the flow is atleast 150'000 cfs on the 28th. they are running 171,000 thru ozark right now and oklahoma has a ton of water headed this way with rain in the forcast for every day next week. at any rate good luck and stay safe.

5. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Well, we will probably not get in too close to the dam. I`m sure the water will be pretty rough, so we will start a few hundrred yards down.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Nothing like SPREADING A "little" good new's Rex!!!:wink::tounge_out::eek:oooh: It's raining as i type this in....The Ar. river wont go down for a while folks .....maybe by August:eek:oooh::smile2:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, one day they'll be releasing 150,000 cfs, and the next day, they won't be releasing any water at all. Bummer for fishing.

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    Big Sam it's killin me to. i do have a trick or 2 up my sleeve for ozark when the water is big , but i am itching to fish around some of the wing dykes with the water down. remember ladies and gentelmen there is always a small craft advisory when the flow is greater than 70,000 cfs. :crazy:i think i'll just go catch some trout.:roll_eyes:

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Smelly cat won't have any trouble drifting:tounge_out: about 15mph pull in the current:tounge_out::eek:oooh: Good luck Smelly!!!!

10. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    150,000 cfs is too risky for us to bother with. One small problem can balloon into deep trouble quick!:crazy: Wish you luck and be safe . I know there are some big fish ready for us all with all this water but skippies from shore are fun to catch too.And less risky! Post your results for us shorebound cataholics.:wink:

11. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    We've fished when there was that much water before, it really isn't that bad as long as you stay back from the dam a little bit. You just move faster. Most of the time you can find a lane where the water is a little slower than the rest.

12. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    Seems like its been that way for the last few years.Maybe the Okies will learn how to control their monsoons one of these years:wink:

13. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I`m gonna use my home made drift socks, made from two 5 gallon buckets drilled full of 2 inch holes, tie one at each of the boat with about 8 feet of rope. Should slow us down a bit, maybe enough for a big ol fat hundred pounder to catch up with my hook.

14. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    You boys be careful out there. Ark. river doesnt compare to the mississippi flow and Im used to it, but none the less its still dangerous, so ya'll be carefull and keep your Life vest on. I hope you catch a biggun. Mac:wink:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Have you ever tried this? Seems to me that those 'drift socks' are going to drag the boat along at the speed of the current. Drift socks are great for when the wind is blowing your boat.

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I made me two of those drift buckets but have not used them yet. I have not drift fished sense Mac and I did it a couple years ago.

17. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas

We'll give them a shot, but i think you are right, they are for wind, not current.

18. Homeybrew

Homeybrew New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I'm packin' my schtuff and respoolin' with some fresh 30lb test.. .Man oh man am I ready to got out there.

19. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    I'm interested in those drift socks too....Do they slow you down on the river??

20. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    lock and dam #15 145,000 cfps today, ft.gibson and keystone still 20ft. above normal level this morning, it will take most all summer to get things back to normal:tounge_out: