drift fishing ?'s

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by jg_gmc, Sep 8, 2008.

1. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    hey guys, ive been reading and listening to videos on here trying to learn how to drift fish. it sounds really productive, but with the cost of the boat and rebuild on the motor....im still short a depth finder,and with news of another little one on the way... i doubt ill be getting one anytime soon. i keep hearing when your drifting to adjust your bait depth accordingly, my big question is can you drift without a depthfinder, like maybe bring it up 10 ft or so and just hope for the best? also was wondering what speed you should be traveling while drifting?ill be attempting this in the ohio river this fall if all goes well. any advice is helpful.

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I SPENT SOME TIME AROUND POINT PLEASANT THIS PAST WEEKEND AND DID A LITTLE DRIFT FISHING IN THE RIVER BUT ONLY CAUGHT A FEW SMALL CHANNELS. THE LOW NUMBER OF BLUES IN THAT AREA WAS PARTLY TO BLAME OR MAYBE MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE AREA. HAD A LOT BETTER LUCK FISHING FOR FLATS UP UNDER BARGES ,ALTHOUGH ALL WE CAUGHT UNDER THEM WAS CHANNELS WE CAUGHT A GREATER NUMBER. WHEN DRIFTING I ACTUALLY USE A SMALL SINKER AND LIGHTER LINE TIED TO A THREE WAY SWIVEL. A 8 CIRCLE ON THIRTY POUND TEST TIED TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SWIVEL. THEN I DRAG IT SLOWLY UP THE RIVER CHANNELS DRAGGING RIGHT ON THE BOTTOM. TAKE ALOT OF SINKERS WIYH YOU THOUGH..

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Drifting is something I am still fine tuning but really getting the hang of...I would say yes you can drift without a depthfinder, of course the only bummer is you cant tell if there are fish present or not. Usually when I am drifting I use a "no snag" rig and keep my bait hitting the bottom, of course while drifting "no snag" does not exist, but it has really cut down on the amount of hang ups I have had. Although an extreme depth change without a depth finder to realize it could make for a very long day, I watch the depth finder more than my rods most of the time.

4. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    to get you best results in drift fishin get your sinkers off the bottom guys!4-6 ft of the bottom ! the blues are suspended most of the time! unless youve had a front come thru then you want to bump the bottom! around cover! i win alot of tournys driftin and very rarely do i get hung up! fish your staight deep water gravel flats and youll find the fish!

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey like I said I am still learning and thats great news aqua lung, can't wait to try that. Alot less heart ache not worrying about snags as much. But doesn't it figure that it seems like a front is coming through this area every weekend...:smile2:....Thanks for the tip Akwa Lung

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

Excellent tip!!

7. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Sorry to bring up and old thread, but was wandering if anyone else was trying to suspend the bait up off the bottom 4 to 6 feet like Akwa-Lung1. If so, ya having any luck?

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am amazed.. I see more quality questions ask during the so no cat season... than.. I understand its the blue guys time, but.... why don't they talk more about the blues and give more informative stuff? I'm pretty hardcore on the flats. And understand.. But, .....???:smile2: rollo

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    To be honest I have caught more blues bumping the bottom, but I haven't drifted a ton either...

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i have caught most of my fish drifting in the same range.. use your electronics and you can se what depth they are hanging out at and thats were your bait needs to be!! i have seen times after a heavy summertime rain that the fish were all really close to the surface but as steve pointed out .. sometimes they are stuck flat on the bottom in the nastiest cover they can find...

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    does drift fishing also work for flatheads? or is it better for targeting blues

12. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    Originally Posted by Akwa-Lung1 [​IMG]
    to get you best results in drift fishin get your sinkers off the bottom guys!4-6 ft of the bottom ! the blues are suspended most of the time! unless youve had a front come thru then you want to bump the bottom! around cover! i win alot of tournys driftin and very rarely do i get hung up! fish your staight deep water gravel flats and youll find the fish!

So this would fit right into my idea of using downriggers for catfish. Any thoughts? Thanks, Tim

13. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive been drift fishing for about 5 years now! and i have only caught 3 flatheads that i can recall by drifting the biggest being about 25 lbs and the other were small! but every so often i know a guy or two that has caught them drifting. id say its not a goood technique to target flatheads with, but its an exellent method for blues and channels with an occasional flathead!

14. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    well guys to answer my own question on this subject, i ve tried twice to drift without the depth finder and the only thing i caught was what appeared to be a grill cover and a stick and this is after many snags where i lost everything except my swivel and sinker. my suggestion dont try this without the electronics!

15. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Sorry to hear that Justin. Man if I could find someone to fix my Lowrance LMS 350a for cheap. I'd give ya the $100 one I'm using right now.

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    what kind of rig are u using to drift with? when i started i used out and had no idea of what i was doing i used a carolina rig for a while till i got tired of getting snagged then i decided to swith to a 3 way rig with a 3ft leader or cheap 12lb line to the sinker and a 12" leader or 50lb to to the hook to keep my bait off of the bottom and i didnt loose nearly as much as using a carolina rig!! using the 3 way if u watch the lines u will see the line start to move if your sinker is dragging the bottom then just crank it up afew feet and keep on going! it work if u just watch the lines.. also what kind of area are u fishing? get out in the middle were there arent as many snags or depth changes and it will pay off!!! and there are the guys that fish like roundhill and let the sinker drag the bottom and he has great success doing it 3rd place at cabelas kingkat classic 2 years in a row!! old roundhill said if you drag it long enough somethings gonna eat it!! :smile2: good luck and dont give up!!

17. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i am indeed using the carolina rig, ive got 25lb mono with a swivel,4oz egg sinker on a 25lb mono leader with a 7/0 j hook. we tried drifting about 2 miles each time in the middle of the ohio river. litterally we killed the motor and just corrected with the trolling motor every once in awhile. poles bouncing like crazy most of the time. then we reel em up a few turns and hope for the best. still just seemed like we were blind without the depth finder.......lol but hey maybe santa will bring me one eh.

18. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    are u dropping the lines under the boat or casting them out behind you? when the rods are bouncing you are dragging the bottom and need to reel up!!