Drift Fishing Rivers

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKing, Jul 16, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Anyone on here mastered the drift fishing technique?? I am trying to learn how to do it, but dont know if I am doing it the right way or not..Just wanting some people to tell me how they go about drifting, and the techniques they use. I would love to get together with someone that drifts so I can learn the right way to do it.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Matt, in Henderson they would drop the line over the side till the sinker hits bottom then bring it up about a foot or 2. I fished with one of the fellas there at the KY Gathering and I got some good hits but no takers. Water depth was about 12-14 feet.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i haven't even came close to mastering this technique yet, but it is on that i really need to spend more time fishing. i tried a 3ounce egg, bead to a barrel swivel, another 18-24 in. of line. stop knot, med/size slip float to a circle hook. i adjusted the distance from the knot to hook to around 8 inches. this allows you to suspend your cutbaits by using the float of bottom obviously. try to hold close to your ledges, dropoffs, along with the edge of your river channel. i have been trying to figure a way to fish for flatheads this way fishing livebaits...think it could be a really hot way to catch them come late fall...well see!!!:wink:rollo

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    so do you bounce the bait up and down off the bottom, and hold the rod in your hand, or were they just leaving the rods in the holder and drifting down the river??

5. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Matt, I fish with Vern ( VL Parrish) a lot. He has taken me drift fishing a time or two. The way we do it is with a three way rig. We use a 5oz bank sinker as a dropper, with the bait on a leader about 18" to 3' above the sinker. We usually drift in the same areas that we have anchored before, ledges, drop offs, holes, and rock piles, bouncing the sinker off the bottom. We put the rods in the rod holders and are constantly changing the depth, to match the contour of the bottom. It is hard for us to keep up with more than 6 rods when we are drifting. It's a bit harder than fishing on anchor.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    matt, i just placed the rods in the rod holder and let the egg drag with the bait suspending from behind...i do think a lindy sinker, or a bottom bouncer would work great as well.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    It seems like most of the tournies I fish, the teams that weigh in the good fish and really wear them out are drifting. Drifting seems like it is very productive..But I drifted about 8 miles down river without a bite..I think it will take some practice to get used to, but I really want to get it down. It seems like it could be real productive.

8. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Well, drift fishin is about all we do here on the Arkansas River.
    We use heavy line 40-60 lb test for the main line. Hooked to a three-way swivel, we use a 2 oz. bell sinker (heavier if water is swifter) tied to 2-3 ft drop line that is line 6-8 lb test. If you hang up, the sinker breaks off and it`s quicker to just replace the sinker. I tie on about 18 inches of the heavy line to an 8.0 circle hook that handles large chunks of bait well. We drift with the current, covering huge areas and zero in on the areas that are productive.
    There is no way to handle any more than one rod for each person.
    We bounce the sinker along the bottom, and the bait (and hook) is 2-3 feet off the bottom and the rocks.

9. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've messed around with drifting a few times. From what I've read, it's most productive with blues. Drift over holes or structure where there are baitfish schooled up. Set baits at different depths until you figure out what depth the fish are at. Then set 'em all at that depth and drift through the area several more times or until no more fish. Lindy bottom bouncers work too. I've caught channels this way but never a flathead. I've never caught a blue this far north and I don't fish pay lakes. I've seen a lot of folks swear they had a blue cat and it was a big male channel.

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Matt to get the hang of it you might start by just drifting over the spots where you are marking fish. If you should happen to catch one go back over that spot again. I just tie a dropper loop in my main line about 12 - 18 inches from the end of the line. Then tie a barrel swivel at the bottom of the line. Then tie a leader and sinker on to that. I use heavy sinkers to keep it from drifting back and up. Drop your rig to the bottom then reel it up according to the depth that you are marking fish. But remember to compensate for the distance between the sinker and the hook. Just keep a close eye on the depth of water and adjust your baits accordingly. Good luck to ya.

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A good graph is priceless when drifting, especially one where you can see your bait on the graph and watch the fish move in on it.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey wolfman, I've noticed in several of your post that you mention a fishfinder that allows you to see your own bait. What model/type are you using??

13. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio