Drift fishing Rend Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by .410 Hunter, Aug 11, 2009.

1. .410 Hunter

.410 Hunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is anyone having any luck dift fishing, for catfish, on Rend? I don't see the post about it, like I have in the past couple of years. I was thinking about taking my son over there, at the end of the week. We caught several last year on Sonny's, any advice would be appciated, thanks!

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Your guess is as good as mine. I will be camping there from THurs until Sunday this week. Each time I drifted it this summer, I have pretty much failed. I do not know what is going on! Last year I was doing great.. this entire year I have been getting my butt kicked!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Stan Welcome to the BOC. In the past some have had luck drifting garlic shrimp. I don't know if it is working this year.:0a22::0a25::0a25:
    PS: I would follow Brian around and find his Honey Holes.:wink::smile2:

4. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    welcome to the b.o.c., stan. this time of year i have had luck drifting north of the 154 bridge at gun creek with cut bluegill and shad. mostly up near the shallows near the bank.

5. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My experience was that the south side was better and with shrimp. Also, fairly soon you should be able to pick up some hybrids along the rip rap throwing little georges or rooster tails. If the catfish are slow try throwing one of the two and ya might tie into one of those silver rockets. Last time I did it every fish we caught was in the 3-4 pound range. Half ounce rooster tails in chartreuse or yellow produced best.
    If ya tear em up post up and let us know.
    Chris

6. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey big-muddy, I see you're down in Jacksonville. Are you still in the navy or out now?
    Chris

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yeah im still in. i have 4 years left down here, then off to wherever. im hopin to either go STA-21 or RDC around then.

8. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ditto that brother! I've tried drifting every time down there this year, but to no avail. I was there two weeks ago and didn't catch more than 10 or so drifting in 3 days time. Two of my buds camping with us scratched off 20 on that sasturday, but that is still slow in my book for that lake. We wound up fishing the shallows around structure in the morning and at night and would catch 20 a day doing that, along with what we caught on trotlines, I don't need to keep anymore fish this year. The weather was all messed up that weekend too, maybe that is what the problem was?

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I don't know Paul... it has been a mess this season. Seems the wet couple of seasons we have had has really puckered up our whisker little friends.

I am going to toss a few stationary jugs. Probably will get them cut or stolen would be my guess. I still never replenished my freezer from the gathering. It is now August... I better get on the roll for my winter fish craving.

10. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I usually don't have a problem with trotlines out there, unless there is a bass tournament. I don't know what the problem is this year with that lake. Even the river fishing has been spotty. I've caught some flats this year, but nothing over twenty, I'll catch 5 or 6 in a morning, then catch 1 the next.:confused2: I've had a couple good nights south of new athens, but again it's been reel hit and miss. I wonder if the water levels fluctuating has quite a bit to do with it? That would be my guess. Oh well, all you can do is get out there and try. GOOD LUCK BRIAN! and let us know how you did.:wink:

11. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is a relief to read. I haven't fished this year as much as I'd like, but when I have, it's been a little odd. No great nights to speak of. We had several trips to Washington County where we struggled to get more than a handful of shad for the night. This has never been a problem! In years prior, I'd get enough shad to last a summer..... in one throw of the net. My only "bigger" fish of the year came from my first time to the Kaskaskia (6lb flat and a 15 lb blue) although that same night I had a pole absolutely ripped out my hands by something huge who apparently wanted a goldfish. It felt like I snagged a moving semi truck, SERIOUSLY. Athough I'm not too keen on losing poles...... it was reassurance that there are big fish out there.

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    alot of people nail them to trees and use rubber straps to keep them from breaking off. there is a little problem out there with people stealing fish off them, but the main problem is a few of the guys that jug and trotline certain areas year round are under the impression that they own that part of the lake, so you gotta steer clear of the crazies. good luck and i hope your fishing improves this season, bud.

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    THanks Paul and Shane...

Well, heading off there. My summer job has come to a close and getting ready for my regular job to start up again. Will be heading out to Rend for the next four days! If anyone is heading out there, look for us on Hickman Point (as usual) in Wayne Fitzgerrell.

14. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a friend that lives in middleburg and her husband is in the navy too. They are both hillbillies from west virginia and he doesn't seem to be overly impressed with the fishing down there. So how is it?
    Chris

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well, the catfishing is crappy. the redfishing is good. theres a lot of gators to deal with. they can be pretty unnerving. bait is kinda hard to come by unless you buy it at the bait shop. mullet is the easiest thing to come by. there are some decent channels at rodney dam on the st johns, but its kinda crowded at times, and the heat is brutal right now.

16. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I started drifting Gun Creek early in the season with garlic shrimp which always has produced lots of fish, but not this year. At best maybe 10 - 15 fish in a mornings fishing.

We tried chicken liver and the bite picked up substantially but that stuff is hard to keep on the hook even using thread wrapped around it.
    Couple weeks ago I took my grand daughter and we were drifting out south of 154 near the mouth of Gun Creek along the north bank.... she spotted a school of shad and I netted a bunch.......luck changed drastically.... we caught 35 that day and then in a couple more trips were catching more than that...... all in the 3-6# range and in 18' of water.

In my opinion, drifting is the only way to fly..... the fish are there, you just have to find the bait they like.

17. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    Everytime i go to rend we drift,theres action and fish.cut bluegill,cut shad,we were using bluegill and getting some nice channels,we would hit some dead spots but 1 of the best channel cat lakes around,as far as size i wish they would grow about another 5 pounds,but still fun fishing,fun lake.

18. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Was on Rend drift fishing several times this year. Always caught fish but not any quantity. Seems to me we have had so much rain this year that the lake is always dropping 2 inches a day because of the dam design, (overflow type), I never have good luck when the lake is dropping that fast. If the rains ever quit the lake will go down to a certain level and stabilize, and the catch rate should improve.

19. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    true when water goes down don u can break out that cane pole and show your skills again,i will never forget that,he caught a nice sized channel on a cane pole right up aginst tha bank and tha fight waz on lol nice job

20. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well... I apparently am miserably bad luck with that lake. I rarely catch channels... this weekend, I met some Team Catfish boys out there and they couldn't find them either. We used bluegill, gizzards, hearts, secret 7 and some hot dogs. Caught 1 fish. That was it! Drifted gun creek, along the rip rap, some other areas that were stump haven.. NOTHING.

I am deciding... I do not like Rend Lake because I really do not know it at all! It was up about 3 feet above normal pool. :sad2:

Back to Baldwin for me!