Drift Fishing on Coralville Lake?

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ROOK, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ROOK

ROOK New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've never fished this way. I read articles here and there on it but i don't know if i should purchase a drift sock? Advantages/disadvantages? I see some use them and some don't. Does it slow you down a bit on a windy day? Any info would be greatly appreciated:smile2: . Thought i would give it a try on Coralville Lake this weekend. Just something different from still fishing:big_smile: . Thank you, ROOK.

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Rook, you can use a 5 gallon bucket with some 2" holes cut in the bottom. 5 or 6 holes should be enough. Drill a couple of holes just below the top and attach a rope harness, I don't think the handle will hold in strong wind or current.

3. ROOK

ROOK New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the reply and the idea. I also like the price.:smile2:

4. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I did the bucket thing quite a bit. My biggest problem was forgetting I had the bucket out and attempting to take off at a high rate of speed...lost a couple of buckets that way. I've switched to a drift sock and trolling motor for most of my fishing though there are times and situations where a drift bucket could be effective.

When I used it, I found it worked best to tie the bucket off to the bow clevice, then drift sideways. I found that I could raise and lower the motor/rudder to catch more or less water. This would adjust the attitude of the boat and keep the lines a little straighter.

Beware that a drift bucket simply will not work if the wind is too stiff (say more than 10-15 mph. No amount of wishing will make it so. If you get to moving to fast, you're not going to catch as many fish.

Anyways, you'll find that drifting is a hoot. Best of luck to you!

Mike.