drift fishing on Clinton Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by backhoe58, Jul 2, 2009.

1. backhoe58

backhoe58 New Member

State:
    New Holland,Illinois
    I am determined to learn to drift fish on Clinton Lake. I like the North Fork area, there is very little traffic there, and I have caught a lot of catfish there over the years by anchoing in the little coves. I see other fisherman drifting in the evenings, and decided to give it a try, but I have a lot to learn.

2. backhoe58

backhoe58 New Member

State:
    New Holland,Illinois
    Sorry, I tried to create a new paragragh, and it sent the post. I have bought a cast net, but the weather turned off cold this week, and I didn't see any shad working the surface since then. Are there any secrets to locating shad and using the cast net? And I would also like any advice for techniques. Thanks.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You might take a look in the Members Library for cast net techniques. Here's one example.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    not to change the subject but everbody says clinton has bluecats, its not stated anywere that they do but, everybody swears they do

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bob Welcome to the Brotherhood. Drifting is a good technique for catching a lot of fish. Helps to cover a lot of territory and you can present your bait different ways, until the fish tell you what they want. Check the Member Library also on drifting techniques.

6. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    drifting clinton, i think is the best way to fish it. i like the marine side of the lake, and the beach. north fork is the place to go for big shad right now. in the far left cove towards the lake.

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Usually get good shad all year around on the 2 bridges either side of the hot water discharge.

The best drifting places I have found for cats have been the 2 big flats one near the dam and the other on the shore.

The biggest channels I have caught was just off the north fork bridge and off the boat luanch.

I dont think clinton has blue cats I have caught big bull channels that a lot of people mistake for blues but never caught a blue in the 30 years I have fished the lake.