Drift fishing Lakes such as Lake of the Ozarks

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by kickin_wing, Mar 21, 2006.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have heard that there are some nice blues caught in lakes driftfishing i want to try it out sometime. Does anyone have any info on how deep to fish, how close to the bottom, hook and weight setup, ect.. The lake i want to try is lake of the ozarks it is 100 + feet deep in some places do i fish that deep or go somewere were it isnt so deep?
    :0a35:

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Austin, I have not drift fished lakes, but I regularly drift the Ohio river. I tend to target the deeper water. In the river I like to fish the slower current and I am regularly drifting the channel. In my stretch of the river there are places that the current can be to fast to be productive without using a trolling motor, and that's to complicated to be worthwhile in my opinion. This summer I am going to try to do some lake drifting. I know that to much speed can drastically reduce your catch. If I get to drift a lake, I will either pick a very calm day or use a drift sock or bucket(s) to control my speed. I have been on the river when the wind has actually enabled me to drift upstream. Vern

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What I do when I drift is just get you as small a weight as you can but still hold your bait down. If your in an area where snags are prevalent, then use a no snag weight or in lakes where you dont need much weight you can take a shoe string and fill it with BBs to get the weight you need and it being long and slender will drag over whatever is on the bottom. I use a trolling motor to control my drifts, I usually drift the Mississippi when I do drift but have drifted lakes. I try to set my trolling motor to just barely drift downstream and keep my bait right below me (or close). I watch my depth finder at the bottom structure and try to mark where I am catching fish, in lakes at that just try to fish at that depth for suspended fish, although you may need some type of line counter or something. It has been my experience that the fish either hammer your rod or it all just goes slack, pick it up and reel 'er in. Its one heck of a way to fish! Try it and if you get good results you will love it, it can get fast and furious and if you hit and hole where they are bitin good then you can either mark it and keep driftin it or just go above it and tightline it. Hope this helps man! Good luck!

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I to am a rookie at drifting a lake and I to fish LOZ. We have drifted a few times for cats and I'll tell you how we did it with moderate success. Let me inject here that I think we did it some what right, I just don't think the fish were biting that hard the times we have drifted. So, once again, it isn't my fault, I'm not responsible for my actions, it had to be someone else's fault, in this case, the fishes.lol Any way with the disclaimer out of the way, we did it two different ways and seriously I just don't think the fish were biting but we drifted with a slip sinker setup where you thread the line through a sinker, put a split shot on the line and then about 3 feet down tie your hook on. We saw several fish on the fish finder at 25 feet and drifted with 4 rods set at 35ft, 30ft, 25ft and 20ft with cut shad on two poles and different baits on the other poles. We just moved our bait up and down with the fish that we graphed. We also bought some large bobbers that looked like cigars about 8" long, I think they were called "BillyBob Bobbers" but they are a slip bobber so we put the bobber on, a bead and slip string, a 3/8 ounce sinker, a split shot to keep it away from the hook and then of course the hook. We moved the slip string up to about 25 feet and drifted with the bobbers. The weight kept the bait down in the 25 feet range but was light enough not to drag the bobber down and yet we were able to drift slow enough to not pull the bait up through the slip bobber due to the movement of the boat. I enjoy that a lot because you're not drifting with our bait directly below the boat, it is as far away as you could cast and ours rode away from us for long drifts. We have caught fish on the bobber set up and again I enjoy it the most because you can watch everyone's bobber as well as your own and you covering a lot of water that isn't directly below your boat. You keep this post active long enough for Wolfman or Bigmagic to see it and those two will get you heading down the right path. Plus, I will get a little more information for myself:thumbsup: .lol

5. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Hey Austin. I too am going to try driftfishing this summer on a couple of local lakes. I've been looking at an article from the BOC Library that I think you may find usefull. ---> Drift Fishing A Lake written by Drifter Good Luck!

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Austin to fish this lake by drifting, you really need to do some planning. First the Blues are all over, you need to pick the area your going to fish, get a good TOPO map and use it in conjunction with your depth finder. Working the main channel is always a good start but you can also pick them up on the flats. As far as weights it depends on several factors, those being the depth your fishing, size of bait, the drift speed and diameter of your line. Also if you have fished this lake you know there is a current at times to deal with. Use just enough weight to keep in contact with the bottom and use fresh shad(cut or whole) for bait. Try to control your drift speed as much as possible, personally, slower the better but I am sure others will differ with me on that. Keep in mind that Summer also brings warmer water and there will be times that you will find them suspended. Fishing the upper end (Warsaw end) narrows some of these factors down so I would think that would be the best area to drift fish. I think if I was drifting the lower part of the lake where its deep I would concentrate on the long coves, but from what I have seen the traffic there is horrible. Fishing the weekdays makes it a little easier because there is less traffic on the lake. There are several guys on this board who fish this lake so maybe they can narrow it down further for you. Good Luck In 2006 Bro!:)

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Bill you might get info from Ron but Wolfie will want to charge you..LOL:p

8. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im not sure when i am going to try this guys but hopefully ill get a chance. Someone told me that they are realy catching the bluecats this way in the Lake of the Ozarks on goldfish. In the middle of the summer last year i set limblines out on docks in about 40 to 50 ft of water with the bait 20 to 30 ft down i caught 9 bluecats and one was 14 lbs. It sounds like driftfishing is simmilar to limblining in the way that you suspend your bait at the depth of the fish. Thanks for all the info guys.
    :001:

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Ken, I know Ron would give you all the advice you want or need without expecting anything in return except a post of how you did. Now wolfie, he hasn't been fishing for so long he most likely has forgotten just what it's like to set a hook.lol I'm going to get him out fishing this summer if at all possible just to show him a few things, you know like, ".... see that, that's a pole holder, and that, oh that's called a lake it's made of water." Simple things until he gets his sea legs back and remembers that he needs to recharge his own batteries once in a while. But, I also know he has his hands full right now with a most unpleasant job that from experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Hope ya do Bill...thats a rough experience...just be careful Wolfie don't run around on your boat marking his territory..LOL...Man Bill, you should be slaying some huge cats down your way. I will NEVER forget fishing my ex brother-in-laws dock down near you....those cats had some unbelievable power and THATS why I live down here today....LOL;)