Drift fishing Kentucky Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by eagle22, Mar 18, 2007.

1. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Guys I am new to drift fishing. I would like to start doing it on Kentucky Lake. I have a few questions and I could really use your help.

1. How do you set your poles up?

2. How does your poles set on your boat? In the back or on the sides?

3. Do you use spider rigs to drift or do you cast them behind your boat and drag them?

4. Do you use planer boards to spread the bait out more?

5. Do you drift next to the main lake channel? Or do you drift the ledge?

6. What do you look for in the bottom of the lake when drifting?

7. I would like to find some rollar coaster bottoms. Do you guys know where any is in the lake?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jason,
    This is how I do it,
    1.30lb fire line with a 3ft 20lb mono leader. A no snag weight slides on the main line above the swivel that joins braid to leader and a small cork 12"-18" from the hook. I use 6/0 circles but any hook will work.
    2. I fish the the rods out of the back of the boat using a drift sock to slow the boat. I use the wind if it's blowing where I want to drift or trolling motor if there is no wind or it is not going where I want.
    3. I cast the middle two rods straight back either side of the motor and the two outside rods out the side of the boat. As you drift they will come around
    to the back but casting them to the side helps keep everything from getting tangled.I let line out so I have the 4 baits at different distances behind the boat. Longer lines will be more likely to hang up than shorter lines but I never drift lakes with the baits closer than 30 yards from the boat unless I am suspending the baits (see below).
    4. No.
    5. Yes...both! I drift the flat areas next to the channel and also right above the ledge so that the baits are at different points on the slope. The steeper the ledge, the quicker all the baits will end up at the bottom. Sometimes if I know there are fish on the slope I will not drag the baits but will suspend them straight down so they don't go down the slope. When I say drift the slope I mean parallel to it not perpendicular to it.
    6. Everything. Shallow flats, channels, ledges, all will hold fish at different times. Try them all until you find a pattern.
    7. Can't help you with this one as I have not fished that lake but dunes as I call them are easy to find with sonar even when going at high speed in the boat as they show up really well. Criss-cross the lake a few times and if there are any you should see them.
    ...W

preluderidin likes this.

3. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you for your reply. This will help me out a lot .
    In my last question you metioned dunes. What are they?

4. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jason,

By dunes I mean what you call roller coaster bottom...W

5. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Winston,

Thanks. I really appreiciate your time. Where do you fish?

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WELL DONE METALMAN.

7. eagle22

eagle22 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Metalman,

What size of drift sock do you use and how many?

8. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I use a Cabelas brand nylon sock sized for a 20 foot boat if there is a fair wind. You can usually get away with one but two is not uncommon for boats that catch a lot of breeze such as pontoons. I also use one or two 5 gallon buckets if the breeze is light or when I want to keep the boat straight if I am using the trolling motor when there is no wind at all...W