Drift Fishing In Swift Water?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gooboy, Nov 29, 2005.

1. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I've read some really interesting posts on drifting in lakes, but i fish the red river almost exclusively. anybody got any tips for drift fishing in swift current? i wouldn't figure that you could use a drift sock, so how do you control the boat?

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I would suggest using your trolling motor to offset the current, thereby slowing your drift downstream.

3. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've used chain and lengths of chain on a rope. You gotta get keep the depth adjusted right or it will stop you like an anchor. Lateley, the wind has been stronger than the current on the Red and I've been using a drift buckets.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Gooboy, have you read this? Drifting Don't know if it will help you or not, but it is good reading. :)

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Here is a link to how I do it. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4013&postcount=3
    Now I will not sit here and tell you, I know everything there is to know about it. but been drift fishing the Tn river for over 30 years. I think it was around 1975 when I got my first trlling motor. and let me tell you. My catch rate went up abut 50%.
    You need to control the boat. Not let it just gow with the current. Best way to tell you what to look for, Is be able to feel the sinker hitting bottom, Then pick the sinker up and let it back down. Now the sinker is behind the boat. Sometimes 30 ft and other times around 100 or 150 ft. Let the bait sit for a few sec. And then pump the rod back again. Moving the sinker untill you feel it come off bottom. Then let it hit again.
    Also I used to use a standard trolling motor. And would have to stay on it all the time. as it would be 2 fast or 2 slow.
    Now i have a minKota 65 lb powerdrive with Auto piloit . Set its course and speed and I can land a fish, Bait back up and eat or take adrink. And not have to fight the trolling motor.
    Also the rig I use is sinker on bottom I like to us the least sinker I can . Tie the to the bottom (I make a loop on the bottom that way I can switch the sinker out as the current changes) A sinker of size that will let you feel bottom. Above that bout 12 to 16" tie on a 3 way swivel. Then tie your hook to the side of the 3 way swivel. Also slow current short leader faster current longer one. If I fish the lake I wont the hook tyed to the main like. Current I like 6" to 12". I use 2 hooks . Also use light line for the sinker as that is what will hang .

Also you will need a good rod that you can feel every move and bump with . I use allstar IM-6 rods 7ft long and med heavy . I can feel a leaf on the jhook or if the bait is gone.

Good luck and I will try to answer any questions I can.
    Pete