drift fishing how much line out

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cliff n york, Nov 28, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    after reading many post i noticed no one has covered, how much line to let out do you linecounter reels:confused2:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    100 to 150 ft seems to work well. Depends a little bit on the depth you're drifting and what kind of line you're using -- mono stretches, braid doesn't; 50 ft is a lot different than 15 ft.

I don't use linecounter reels; I just estimate it. Steve Brown of Catfish Safari is incredibly precise in his drifting setup, using linecounter reels to set his baits exactly where he wants them.

If you are careful to put your center lines out the farthest and stagger the distance of the other lines (side lines closest, middle lines halfway in between) you can avoid tangles. At least, until a big bruiser decides to show you otherwise....

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I wish someone would show me how to drift fish period. I really want to get this down but I am lost.:confused2:

4. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Travis, I agree with you 100%. I thought I was drift fishing when I went out and didn't put the anchor out and just drifted with the current:confused2: Somehow I think it is more advanced than that. :eek:oooh:

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Linda I agree, but we can catch some beautiful snags doing it the way we do, thats about it..lol

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I usually just make a cast and let it sink to the bottom with the spool open. if I am in a snaggy area i tend to let out less line because it doesnt seem to hang as easy. If the wtaer is 20 ft or less I let out alot of line just to let the boat pass over and let things go back to normal.

7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tbull when I drift I use a weight about 5 inches long and the diameter of a pencil .then tie a leader from 2 to 4 ft then a hook. use a small crappie float just above the hook. the sinker drags the bottom and the float holds the bait up off the bottom. you can adjust it to right off the bottom or 2 ft off the bottom, just what ever is working the best. if the wind is cooperative i drift sideways fishing with about 8 rods off the side of the boat. if its not winding I use the trolling motor and use 6 off the back of the boat. I like to drift across long points or flats beside a channel that doesnt have to many snags. alot of people use slinky weights but I havent made any of those up yet.

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Never really drifted for cats, but here's how we did it for walleye (sorry for cussin'). Because your baits depth depends on so many factors (Weight of sinker or jig, size of bait, diameter of line, speed of wind and drift etc.), we could not let out a set amount of line. Instead we would let out line until we could feel the rig tapping the bottom now and then. If we let out enough that it drug constantly, we would snag more. If we wanted it off the bottom, we would reel in some line or put a longer leader between the weight and the bait. Even though it was obvious that we were walleye fishin', we ran into many inconsiderate catfish that would insist on making us catch them.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys I have gotten alot of info on this thread and the other I started. I really appreciate it, thats why I love this site so much. Dont mind the cussin buddy them little guys are tasty!:big_smile: