"Drift Fishing Help"

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by shania, Feb 19, 2008.

1. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Good Morning Gang,

I want to do some Drift Fishing this year in some of the waters that I fish.

Can anyone out there post a photo of a Drift Rig for me & give me any tips on this type of fishing? :confused2:

:worship: Any help on this will be much appreciated & Helpful to me.
    :0a31:

Thanks in advance,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hi Bert,

I don't have any pics but maybe I can paint a verbal picture. I am going to assume that you will be drifting a lake for channels.

Tackle: For my rig I use any rod from my flatty rods to my ultralights. Basically I like a rod with a good bit of flex. I use 6-15lb mon line with some 4-6lb to use for a leader. The typical hook is a Gamakatsu 6/0 Octopus Circle hook with a slight offset. The sinkers can be any kind, I use the little ones with a slight bend in them (I believe they may be called bait walkers) They look like, well, remember the first cordless phones? The slimline that was rectangularly shaped with a bend? That's what they remind me of. I use anywhere fo 1/8oz to 3/4 oz depending on conditions. You need stout rod holders because this type of fishing could put serious stress on a holder. I use driftmasters now, but used to have Atwoods on my old toon.

Setup: I use a simple rig with a swivel and two leader lines 1 line the lighter test cut to the length which will equal the distance from the bottom you want your bait to be. In other words if you want your bait to ride 1 foot off the bottom, that is the length of your sinker leader. I usually tie my other leader to the other end of the swivel to help keep it from tangling and make it approximately 12" long to which I tie the circle hook.

Fishing: Amazingly enough you may be surprised where you find channels. I catch a lot of fish right out in the center of the lake. Typically you need to identify the depth at which the fish are holding, or flats next to the channel.
    I always turn my boat sideways in the wind and fish out of the side that you can see where you've been. In other words, fish so your lines stretch out rather than go under the boat. A holy 5 gallon bucket makes a good drift control bucket. (make sure you tie your rope to pre drilled holes in the bucket, not the wire handle)

The cast: I usually just fip my bait about 5 feet behind the boat and let the sinker settle to the bottom and then let out a few lengths of line to give me some angle, so you're not fishing vertically. This allows for you to maintain bottom contact even with contour changes. Make SURE your rods are well seated in the rod holder and your drag is adjusted for at the short distance that you are working, strikes can be quite violent. Remember this cat may have followed the moving bait for 100 yards, and when they hit, there is rarely any fooling around.

The Bait: My favorite bait, actually two, and I guess it's all I use is cut shad and cut bluegill. There are many different ways to cut it. You can use the head for the bigger fish, then you can cut the body into chunks (bloody) and toss the tail. I usuall fillet the fish and cut the fillets into about a 1" x1" square (you can dabble to find what works for you). When hooking your bait, just put your hook through the corner and make sure that the bait is hanging off the hook at the bottom (The rounded part). In other words, the hook is completely exposed and the bait is just flapping by a corner. Channels will inhale these offerings.

I hope this helps and enjoy. If you get into a school of 5-7lb channel cats, you will rarely find a more exciting experience in the fishing world.

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS