Drift Fishing From the Bank!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, May 6, 2009.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I was watching Bill Dance drift fish from the boat for big Blues using a three way-swivel rig, I am wondering will drift fishing work for bank fishing? I been tight lineing on the bottom with a three way-swivel rig with no sucess.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well if your on the bank and theres a current you can always use a slip float so you can cover a larger area.I sometimes do that but i dont know if you would consider that drift fishing or not.

3. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Yes drift fishing from the bank works good around logjams. You can cover a lot of water and you wont get hung up as much. I like to use larger floats and live bait around logjams for Flatheads.

4. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I like to use slip floats around log jams, too. Just be sure your lively bait doesn't pull you into the snag.

My grandpa used to do this from a high bank: He'd drop a slightly underweighted slip-sinker rig right up next to the bank (often undercut a bit), and let it roll with the current. When it slowed down, or stopped, he knew he'd found a hole. He'd let it sit for a while. If he didn't get bit, he'd bump it a little to let it keep rolling down river. He'd keep this up until he got a bite. When he felt a tap, he'd tie a quick little knot in the line and reel in the fish. Then he'd rebait, and feed out line until he saw the knot. He caught more cats for the frying pan than anyone I've ever known.