Drift fishing for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Mar 8, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have tried many different tactics fishing for flatheads. But, has anyone ever tried drifting for flats? Either jigging cuts, or simply dragging live baits on maybe a three-way rig?

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We drift fish the Ohio River some and we have caught flatheads but not a bunch (although the ones we have caught tend to be good sized). I think the main reason is we don't drift where the flatheads hang out. It would be almost impossible to successfully driftfish snags and logjams. We do tear the blues and channels up drifting though.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

try large deep diveing crank baits, works for me

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks guys. i fish tournaments in the summer, and have often just wondered about covering more water in a nights time rather than setting up on a couple of places. i fish alot of log jams, but really like areas with alot of rock too. i thought about starting on a flat and drifting through to the head of the hole either dragging baits or jigging vertically as i float through it... sounds like fun probably have yo try it... fishing the cranks? after dark i take it?

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Drift fishing for flats during the day probably wouldn't be very productive since they usually hang close to home then. During the night they come out to feed though, and it might be worth a try then.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah, i figured that.....i was wondering more for nighttime than anything...might try the channels in the day sometime.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anyone else that has thought or attempted this or am i just dreamin?:lol:

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i saw this on infisherman tv.tried itand it worked somewhat.you anchor up above the snags or log jam and drift your bait back with a float.useing fresh cut sucker or creek chubs.cought some small flats,bigest about 7 lbs,catch a lot more good size channels.dought you catch enough weight to win or place in tou.johnnie

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have hit them at santee before drifting the bottom. we caught 5 in 30 minute one night but i have to say there was a lot bigger fish in the area than what we caught. they was laying on a ledge. looked like boulder laying down there. went back the next week with the anchors and high hopes but the boulders was gone. this was at night time too. i did catch a 40lber in the middle of the day last year drifting but that was luck too i believe. that fish was in deep water. we was using whole blueback herring threaded on to catch those. 5-6" in lenght.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for those of you thats been wondering about water temps...i was on the muskingum today. temp. was 38 degrees..hopefully by next weekend it will be in the low 40's....jason

11. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    I do very well useing my trolling motor to stay on top of flathead and bounce live bluegill or cut bait and it works very well. Try staying behind barge tie offs and behind bridges. Most of the time people anchor up above these places and fish around them and this is a way to fish behind structure. Keep bounceing in one spot if you mark fish and eventually they will hit it. Hang On!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks man... there isn't any barge traffic on the muskingum where i fish but i can relate to what your saying with the breaks...i just keep thinking im on the brink of finding a different way to catch them other than still fishing. thanks for the info bro....rollo.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    flathead fishing for 15 yrs.... can never get too much info... keep it coming guys... lots of good stuff. thanks to everyone....jason

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey for you multi-anglers...caught about 40 crappie and bluegill this evening...gonna be a fry!!! all of them were caught on a slip-float with an ice jig tipped with a wax worm....jason

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    getting closer to the season...caught some channels slipin it....still looking for more advice, i know some of ya are keeping some secrets from me:big_smile:

16. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I'm going to try to drift fish for flatty down at osage river this year when they are on the move I will see if it works

17. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    From my opinion and from wat ive read i think i was right. Drift fishing will work moderately well at night for small to medium sized flatties. But them big ones are gonna find a deep dark hole and stay there for the most part. You will have most success sticking with them log jams and rock piles.