Drift fishing for channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Kansasgoose, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    Can a guy drift too slow for channels? I have heard that about 1 foot per second is the "right" speed. I have been out recently on some fairly calm days, winds under 10 MPH, and have not had any luck getting fish to bite. I wondered if it was the speed? I fish two rods, one carolina rigged with 1/4 ounce weight, barrel swivel, and 2 foot leader baited with fresh cut shad. Second rod is set with a 3-way swivel, 1 foot dropper with 1/4 ounce weight, and 2 foot leader with a small float to ensure the line stays up off the bottom, again fresh cut shad. I'm fishing a CORPS lake on the upper end going across the flats. I drifted from 18 to 4 feet of water, across the open, across points, and into a cove. No bites anywere. Anyone have a suggestion as to what to chance about my presentation while drifting?

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If you have a GPS, it will show the ground speed better than a regular boat speed ometer and thats what you want for slow driftin speeds to register.Anywhere from 0.2 to 0.7 mph is usually best for me, to much more than that and the bites slow down.

I would also reccomend using more rods, I use up to 6 when driftin.If you use the Santee style drift rig it will allow you to let alot of line out behind the boat and drag the bottom with multiple rods and they can be put in a rod holder unattended until a fish slams one of them.

3. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    James, This is my first year to drift fish for channels. I have had excellent results at any speed of drift from just enough to keep the line tight to a 10 mph wind. It does seem that the bigger fish seem to bite best when the drift is a bit faster. I use a small sinker with two hooks snelled above at 4" and 8". Best bait has been uncooked shrimp soaked with garlic salt. It always seems to surpasses the shad.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    You could try adding some action by jigging the rod. I've had that work on walleye. (Sorry 4 cussin').

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well i was going to say use more rods but someone already said that.Find the thermocline alot of times the cats will suspend there.You could also walk one along the bottom,you may even want to put a longer leader on to give your bait more action.

6. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    thanks for all the comments. Ks only allows 2 rod, or three with permit, so more rods really isnt an option. Sounds like maybe different bait and/or a longer leader might be a problem? I'm new to this drift fishing thing but it seems i must be doing something really wrong for I just dont catch fish doing it. Does fall vs spring make any difference?

thanks again for all responces.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont think it makes a BIG difference except mybe the depth in which you fish and how fast.Have you tried using a drift sock?Those work really well.Dont worry you will get the hang of it.