Drift Fishing For Channel Cat

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Ace, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I was just wondering if any one drift fishes for Channel cats or Blues or Flatheads. My Son and my grandson and I we like to drift for all kind of Catfish.
    We use fresh shrimp and cut bait we have caught some good fish this way.
    Ace :thumbsup:

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Hey Ace, most of us drift fish. In the archives you will find vast amounts of information on drift fishing that many catfishermen and I have put in. Or just do a search for drift fishing. Good Luck to you and welcome to the site.

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Hi Ace,
    I drift fished with 2 friends a while back on the diversion canal at Santee Cooper. We got a bunch every day . I got 2 between 20# and 25#. The rest were 5# to 15#. We used fresh cut bait. Quite a few hangups, but worth it considering what we caught. Its my preferred style. Beats throwing a plug at bass for hours on end.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I drift for them on Greenlane reservoir along the mouths of bays where the sand bars drop off into deep water. I find that if I follow the crappies, the channel cats arent that far behind. I always rig a nightcrawler or liver on the bottom for the cats and something else for the crappie. I love eating them both so Im covered either way.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ace, I do a lot of jugfishing in the current of the Arkansas River, which is a type of drift fishing...the lines just aren't attached to a rod & reel. I target the blues, but I do catch the occasional channel. I've never caught a flathead on a jug while it was floating down the current; but I've caught several on jugs that got hung up and stopped moving with the current. I'm very interested in hearing of any flatheads over 10# caught on moving baits, whether artificial, cut, or live.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like we are fishin the same water Ace!!!

Yes, I drift fish 99% of the time for cats. Occasionally I will do some anchoring up, but the majority if drifting.

I will wind drift if the wind is right, or I will use my trolling motor if there is no wind or not favorable to the direction I want to run.

7. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    the best way i have drifted for channel cats is a soft crawl on a hook with a small splitshot, then letting the current around the hole in the river, caught multiple 7-8 pounders that way

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I catch way more fish drifting then anchor fishing.
    Also do a drift fishing running the outboard motor in the swift current below the dam here At Pickwick. I can catch a boat load of channels in the swift current like that. They are along the river channel on the gravel bars. Been catching them like that for 30 years.

PEte

9. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

i do most of my fishing from the bank, i'll give drifting a try

10. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jerry,

I have only caught one Flathead on jugs.....22#'s. The part that is hard to beleive, is it was caught on cured chicken livers. It beat all I have ever seen. Never in my life would I think of pulling a flattie up on a jug baited with cured livers. Caught at night in 25 ft on the middle hook in September '05

11. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have caught some nice flatheads on jugs here on the creek and the lakes using live bait...mainly goggle eye perch. We caught a 35 pounder 3 summers ago and chased it for a while because it kept taking the 2 ltr bottle under LOL. Now I use my wife's left over Gain bottles. They are almost 3 gallons in capacity and the bottle is already a bright fluorescent green so I don't have to paint them. I put something with reflective properties on them for night fishing. As long as she does not switch to powder detergent I'll be alright for jugs.

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Ace, I've caught a few channels drifting for blues, also using shrimp (and an occasional hot dog when nothing else was working). Nothing very big, but good eatin' size.