Drift fishing for blue catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by KGK20, Mar 11, 2007.

1. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I have heard a lot about drift fishin but have never tried it. I allways fish the bottom an seem to do pretty good but i would like to try drifting I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice for drifting.I fish the mississippi river south of St. louis.

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I guess I have to show you everything! :lol: :lol:

3. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    keith, on that part of the mississippi its hard to find a good spot to drift because of the current. to be good at drifting u have to be patient and constant. first what kind of trolling motor do u have because your going to need a strong one to slow yourself down, second if your boat was floating down the river in neutral where your thinking about doing the drifting how fast do u think you are moving, u need to know how fast your moving because that is the key to control drifting u don't want to go any faster than 0.5 mph thats why its hard to do on the mississippi theres to much current. so if u can find a strech of river that is out of the current like in between wingdams or a flat on the opposite side of the channel it will work. all u basically do is point your boat up river and use your trolling motor to slow yourself down to 0.5 mph or slower as u float down river. hope this helps.

4. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    Should I put my bait on the bottom or right off the bottom. or at all differnt dephts?

5. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    im no expert kind of new to me too. i drift in a lake and use the wind to push the boat if the wind gets strong i use a drift sock to slow the boat down. now i use a bottom rig and a float rig to see which one gets more hits and then switch to whatever works you will get a lot of hang ups so bring a lot of tackle. the reason people do this is to cover more ground and if you know what your doing you could catch a lot of fish with this technique

6. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    keith, start out with four rods at different depths something like one rod on the bottom, one rod 1-2ft from the bottom, one rod 5-10ft from the bottom, and maybe one very shallow. I usually stay close to the bottom probally no more than 10ft from the bottom. u want your bait to look as natural as possible, you're trying to make those blues think there getting a easy dinner. what kind of rigs do u use 3-way or straight? myself i use 3-ways on the river and straight w/ a slip bobber on lakes when drifting.