drift fishing/drift socks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dwreel, Jan 24, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Is there an alternative to expensive drift socks? If not, I have no idea what size I would need.
    My boat is an 18' SeaPro with high gunwals, 18" or so. I don't need one for high (river) currents or strong winds. Just something to slow the boat down if necessary.

:confused:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I have heard from very experienced fisherman that you can use "5 gallon Buckets" for drifting. I know one of my dad's friend uses them for drifting in his like 20ft pontoon. And he catches plenty of big blues. Hope this helps.

Zakk:)

3. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I use two of these in high winds, very affordable and do a good job.
    [MAL-CO ECONOMY DRIFT SOCK 30in. BLACK
    Item Number: MAL505
    Price: $22.75
    From Catfish Connection

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have both. I use the 5 gallon bucket with holes in the bottom for low wind and low current. I use my 40" drift sock for higher wind and current. I have a Lowe 1648 jon boat.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Dwreel I Use 6ft Driftsocks On My 18ft Prov Lund. I Bought Mine From Easterlins Sea Anchor Out Of Cross South Carolina. Telephone # 1-843-753-2353 . I Mainly Use Mine At Santee Drifting Sideways With One At The Back And One At The Front But That Water At Santee Is Rough As You Know. These Socks Are Real Good Socks And If You Tear You Can Send It Back And The Lady There Said She Would Fix Them. I Have Hung Mine On Stumps At Santee And Did Not Tear Them But Iwouldnt Advise That. I Havent Had To Use Them On The Lakes In North Carolina Yet. They Cost Around 90.00 Ea. Alittle High But They Are Nice. Open Up Real Nice With The Weights On The Bottom. About All The Guides At Santee That I Seen Use This Type. I Would Try The 5 Gal Bucket First.

6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Well i havent made these yet, but ill be posting a "how to" once i do and have pics. Anyway my plan is that i have a few raggedy tarps where corners are torn, etc. If you dont have those i think you can buy some of the canvas material like they use for roof in garden section of walmart for really cheap.

anyway cut out shape for the cone, i practice with paper and have everythign scaled out. fold long edges of cone together a couple times gluing each time then sew together. cut out pointy end of cone, makeing cone open at both ends. Glue and sew webbing around each circle (end) of cone. Attach 4 pieces of webbing equal distance around big circle and one to little circle. Then attach 4 pieces of webbing to an o ring (or tie in a knot). Thats basically it. Probably going to add half a swim noodle to top and a piece of capped pvc on bottom filled with rocks to help with deploying.

Anyway like i said ill hope to have pics and a how to within next 2 weeks, along with actual costs. Guessing around 25 bucks for 2 whatever size you want. I like making my own stuff, the money isnt the issue for me. you can get some from walmart for like 35$ a piece although they are smaller.

7. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    oh yeah here is some 5 minute drawings i did in photoshop, please feel free to laugh at my photoshop skills lol

Attached Files:

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I bought both of my drift socks at Wal-Mart and both at 36". They work great for me if the winds not blowing more than 25mph.

9. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thanks guys. As Always, BOC members come thru again.

:grin-big: :0a31:

10. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey dwreel,
    Have you seen these Drift Chutes.I've been looking at them,i drift alot,think it ought to work OK.
    Ernie

Attached Files: