Drift fishing and you lose the Wind?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jdstraka, Jun 26, 2006.

1. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Everyone! I drift fish alot for Channel cat and useually with one or two frinds. I have A trolling motor on the front of my 18 FT. Lund Alaskan and if Im by myself i just kick it on and set it on auto pilot and fish off the back of the boat (Im drifting Lakes and impoundments) But when your with Frinds thats sorta hard. So the question is, if I purchase another trolling motor and mounted it in the middle of the boat to pull it sideways in the no wind situations would it work?Or has any of you tried this? Thank You J.D.Straka A.K.A. Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Add some rod holders to the rear so you can troll and drift out the back of the boat till the wind picks back up. Just a thought.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think that would work, it would be more cost efficient to add rod holders.

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Don't see why it wouldn't work for catfish. Years ago there were several articals writen about a crappie guide that rigged his boat the same way........called it pulling. Also seen a Bill Dance show where he did the same thing. I think it would be an awesome tactic to use in sheltered coves and would allow you to "pinpoint" boat postion on breaklines and channels. If you already have a transom mount motor or can borrow one I sure can't see how it would hurt to try. Be sure and post results, I been thinking about this same thing for a while:big_smile: .

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Pulling sideways is a very common crappie technique and will work just as well for cats.I have rod holders on both sides of my 21 ft center console as well as on the back.I can drift six rods sideways or six out the back.With no wind it doesn't matter where the rodholders are so you might be able to pick up a transom mount trolling motor at a yard sale etc.Drifting is drifting as far as presentation goes and most of us ,guides included ,fish sideways at Santee but have the capability to change.:smile2:

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Not only will it work, It would work great. Theres so many people here on Pickwick lake that started crappie fishing like that years ago. and now he is a well known crappie guide and fishes that way.
    Do a search for "Side pulling" Or for Roger Gant . Everything will be on crappie. but just take what it talks about and put forward to catfish.
    Everyone around here uses it on a tiller boat. But can be used on a console boat.
    If its on a tiller boat mount it as far was you can forward and still be able to sit in your back seat. Also turning the outboard will allow you to to keep the boat tracking true.
    I can try to get a few pictures if that will help.
    I just use the trolling motor in the front of the boat and move my boat along slow.
    Pete

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Maybe you could try a drift sock? Might help.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes it will work, but you have to develop some skill at keeping the boat straight.

I prefer fishing off the back of the boat when drifting. I can fish six rods easily, and that is all you really need. If you can not catch them with six rods, then you are doing something wrong.

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank you Folks for your replys this will solve the problem. thats just another reason why I love this site all of you are VERY helpful! Bigcatman0816.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If you have a minn kota auto pilot I would suggest getting a co-pilot and strap it to your wrist you can control the moter from any where in the boat.I wouldnt take anything for mine its well worth the money.

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Just move to Kansas, you NEVER run out of wind here!! :crazy:

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jeff, you'd be amazed how many time you just hit a "dead spot"!! Never happens when the rollers are on, but a perfect breeze and then boom..........dead in the water. Yor right though, 99% of the time it's whitecapping:crazy:

Thats the guy I was thinking about Pete. Made quite a name for himself in the Crappie Mags.

Time to start hiting the garage sells for an old troller, my 16'er won't take much.

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Charlie, you are probably right, especially up there where you fish. Down here, no hills + not many trees = FRIKKEN WIND BLOWING ALL THE DANG TIME!!! LOL

I get so frustrated trying to fish into the wind (I was taught you need to fish into the wind from the bank) and the 4' waves and spray are just beating you and your gear to death!:roll_eyes: