Drift fishing and wind considerations

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by petersoutcats, Feb 10, 2007.

1. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have gained so much info from this sight so far (Thanks A Boatload BOC Members) and was wondering how some of you handle the wind and current on the rivers?
    Can you drift too fast, to slow, do you use drag weights, motors, socks, ect.
    and what if the wind is gusting the opposite direction of the current is that bad or good?
    Or too much wind-time to for the anchor.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Scott, you should be able to find a post in the library section on drifting techniques..... I for one use a piece of heavy chain and then let out rope to slow down more, or add more chain to make a "y" out of it for more resistance without to much rope out from the bow....
    I have a jam cleat at the bow, and can let line out easy or pull in as needed.... from the back of boat.....
    I use the trolling motor at the back to move from side to side as needed..... for emergency stops, and fighting a fish, I have a loop at a given distance and throw out a bunch of line and tie off the loop which is set by its length to stop me in current. To get moving again, I just simply pull some line in and the current gets me moving again...
    I can pull the rope all the way in, and leave the chain out and run with the big motor to new areas at medium speed, and then start a new dirft.

hope that this will help you...bayrunner ray

3. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    Scott, I fish the Chickamauga here in S.E. Tennessee. I drift fish along the channel edges where the water falls from about 25' into 55'. I normally use a single rod and bounce the bait down the ledges and then move back up into the shallower water and drift back down the ledge again. I sit in the front of the boat and constantly use the trolling motor to control the drift. No matter what the wind, I try to keep my drift straight down the current at about one-half of the current speed. I believe that the big blues will smell/taste the bait well before it gets to them and will stop cruising across the current and wait for it to drift into their comfort zone, whether it is a feeding area or a resting area. Boat control is critical along the drop-offs and I am constantly adjusting my drift to keep the line straight below me, which means that I am drifting directly down the current. In doing this, some days I wind up drifting bow first, and others drifting stern first because of the wind. It may seem like a lot of work to some folks, but it quickly becomes second nature and you don't think about it, it just happens. You'll wear the batteries out on windy days, but it has been very successful for me. Give it a try! Good luck and big fish!

4. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ray & Eric Thanks for the great info (thats why I love this sight), Ray I was wondering if your drag rope/chain would sometime snag up, and or sometims be getting in the way when your landing fish?
    I really like the y chain idea.

5. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry for the bad english on that last sentence on my firts post :tounge_out:

I ment too much wind its maybe time for the anchor

Pretty late for me last night i guess:big_smile:

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I still use the Trolling motor. And if it get to blowing to hard for that. Its time to go home.
    Now some of my best days have been when the wind was blowing up current. It would be enough to hold the boat. And it works great also.
    Pete

7. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Reading form another post it looks like alot of you use wind socks.
    Maybe its time to buy one and try them out.
    I fish from a 18 1/2 ft center console that can can handle a pretty good chop, any suggestions size of sock to use?