Drift buckets

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dwordenfish, Jan 21, 2007.

1. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    I was hoping someone could clear this up for me. I know people will hang a five gallon bucket off the back of the boat in order to slow a drift, like a drift sock, or to slow the motor when trolling....but I have seen in the videos that they are anchored and hanging them off the stern of the boat. Is this used to position the boat? It seems like it would just be something to get tangled up on.

someone otta be able to clear this one up for me...
    clueless,
    Dave

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Dear Clueless,
    Just kidding.
    Dave That is a legitimate question.
    The buckets act just like parachutes in the current. When anchored they will help hold the boat straight against barge wash or wind by putting a bit more pull on the stern. They are especially useful when the current is less than usual and there is an upstream wind. Yes it is possible to get caught in them and sometimes they pick up a bit of debris but the advantage far outweighs the disadvantage..W

3. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Thanks,

I usually figure these things out myself, but this one had me puzzeled. Thanks Winston. I'm gonna try this because I,ve had that trouble before and we just never thought to try that before. This otta help on those real windy days!

less clueless
    Dave

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David keep reading and asking questions on here. There is a vast amount of knowledge on the BOC and a lot of tricks of the trade and it's all at your finger tips. Good Fishing.:cool2: :lol: :smile2:

5. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I have a friend that drills 4 holes in the bottom of his bucket with a hole saw bit and that will let some current pass thru and also let some debris go thru.