Drift Bucket

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by blackhorse83, Jul 16, 2006.

1. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm looking for information on building a bucket for drifting. It's not that I'm to cheap to buy a drift sock, well yes it is, but if a bucket will work why spend the money. I know that you must drill holes in the bottom, but how many and what size, and I assume that you would have to take off the bail and attach a rope of some sort. I think it would take more than 1 for a 16' river john. Thanks in advance.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lyle look in the library there is some good info in there on building a good drift bucket.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ok I'll look again I must, have missed it some where.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I still don't find it guess I'm just blind

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    posting to wrong thread...

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the info., but thats still not telling me what I'm looking for. I guess I'll do a little trial and error, to see what works.

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I've made several from 5 gal plastic buckets by drilling five 2" holes with a hole saw in the bottom, then drill four 3/8th" holes equally around the top rim and attach short ropes to these holes across the bucket and fasten a swivel to the center where they cross then attach about a 5' or 6' line to the the swivel. Works great on a 14 to 18 foot boat.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Just take a 5 gallon bucket, drill about 4-5 1-1/4" holes equally spaced in the bottom, the drill about 4 more around the circumference a couple of inches above the bottom. Drill 4 equi-distant holes below the top and tie a short bridle to them. Use a longer piece of rope to attach everything to the boat. It will not do as well as a drift sock if the wind gets up very much. Sure, it works just like a drift sock (a 14" dia drift sock), and it will help at lower wind speeds. I keep one in the boat (stores spare anchor and rope, too) and use it sometimes, but the drift socks, properly sized for the boat, work much better.
    You didn't mention what type water you fish. Hope this will help you some, though.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Rhanks guys thats what I need to know I will be mostly on a lake.