Dressing for the winter.

Discussion in 'Fishing Clothing Review' started by JPritch, Sep 5, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thought I'd start a discussion to see how everyone dresses for those cold winters fishing. I was a little underprepared last winter, and got bit by the cold a few times. I got a set of insulated coveralls that did the trick, but I wasn't very mobile wearing them.

I did a little looking around, and read on the benefits of layering, and using the right materials. Gonna spring for a set of Cold Gear as a base layer, and another looser base layer over top of that. Poly, not cotton, as I hear poly wicks moisture whereas cotton retains it. And my fleece is gonna have windshear protection this time around. The fleece I wore last year, you could feel the wind go right through it.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    You can not go wrong using the Cold Gear under garments. Most of last winter I just used the CG under garment, my jeans, a sweatshirt and a wind breaker. When it got down to below freezing I wore the CG, plus my Walls suit. Only thing that got cold was my hands and that was due to me handling live bait from my bait tank. See if you can find some Fleece (brand name) socks, they do a good job in cold weather conditions.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Darren Twellman (Screen name: Darren Twellman) has an electric suit that plugs into his cigarette lighter socket and he swears by it. You might want to shoot him a PM. They are pricey from what I remember (about $600) but they keep you toasty from what I hear. Can get pretty COLD here in the midwest though, I forgot to look where you were posting from.

I carry an infrared heater thingy in my boat that attaches to a 20lb Propane cylinder, it can really help take off the chill and especially help warming up your hands etc...... but it sure sucks when you turn it off.:crazy:

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Elec suits can be found at most motorcycle shops and ther a lot of used ones out there

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is Cold Gear a brabn name? and where do you find it?

Thanks

6. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    There are a few good products out on the market. I don't fish too deep into the Winter and when I do it's usually on one of the warmer days. However I do Waterfowl hunt in some pretty cold conditions. Best advice I can give anyone is to wear some body armor. I use Under Armor , but there are a few different types that will work. These are the first layer you put on and they help keep the moisture in control. When you pile on winter clothes your body will sweat, which in turn will soak into your clothes and this is a major factor in why we get cold even with alot of clothes on. Neopreme gloves with a cotton liner will help keep your hands dry. An under armor or like product face shield worn under your hat or knit Beanie will help keep you warmer too. again your head will sweat under that blanket you just put on it which in turn will soak into the fabric and cause you to get cold. I still get cold but I can usually last all day on a stand or in a blind or on the water. Hope this helps. It works for me.

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Harold, ColdGear is by Under Armour, just their name for their winter clothing line. It's a tight fitting (which some like, some don't) first layer, that is good at wicking away moisture to keep you dry. Any sporting goods store, and the online retailers like Cabelas and BPS carry them.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have some UA, and really like it, but I'm not sure it's worth the $ for sedentary activities like catfishing. Great stuff for more active things, like rabbit hunting, though.

I have a UA loose gear/heat gear tee that I've worn just about every day this summer. Da bomb. Ditto their skivvies...no more swamp crotch.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Really good wool socks and insulated boots are my most important gear. Numb feet suck. Then 2 pairs of long johns 100% polyester for the lower half and a pair of BDU'S, I swear by them. Polyester long sleeve and a cotton short sleeve and my Parka with a couple of pocket warmers. Then I have my Bakalava along with a beanie. I might look like I have a fake sumo suit on but Im warm. :wink:

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
  11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Ozzy, I couldn't agree more on keeping the feet warm. I got caught a couple times last year with cold feet, and it's a miserable feeling. I will be ready this year....with like you mentioned, wool socks with a poly liner sock for moisture wicking, and thinsulate insulated/waterproof boots.

12. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Military surplus. Easily washed, easily layered, easily replaced, on the hands, just kinda suck it up. 44 years on the bike so numb hands I am used to, though Arther is starting to be a problem.:wink:

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I learned this past year that a windbreaker under my suit in the freezing wind makes a huge difference when I'm wearing my walls. I use a hood mask and hand warmers in my pockets . I do fine down to 28F , that's about as cold as we go.

IMO stopping wind is the main thing, I've even worn my rain gear over my suit to totally block it out if its really windy and I'm in the boat .

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc

I own both and dont use the bibs anymore. Full suites are best but make sure they are a size or two bigger than you need. I would test fit them wearing your base layers, then squat down a bunch of times......nuttin worse than them riding on ya, LOL.

You also wanna see how hard they are to get off. Its no fun running around in circles trying to get your arms out, LOL

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm just the opposite...two pieces for me. I like to be able to remove the jacket if I get too hot.

Pac boots, like the Lacrosse Iceman, are hard to beat for footwear, btw.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I gotta define this a little better. My boots are 800 gram thinsulate. Cold drops and heat rises. This is why I always start with my feet. I like to buy my boots a few sizes to big so I can get 2 pairs of wool socks on. Sounds weird, it works for me tho. Long john's are 2 pair, 1 lg 1 xlg. I aint paying 100.00 a pair. Kmart will do. A pair of BDU's work great lots of pockets and the right price, usually 20 bucks a pair. 1 long john long sleeve and a cotton short sleeve and my Columbia parka. My bakalava and a beanie and a few hand warmers. I keep gloves with me but end up cat and mouse with them. I hate wearing gloves.

17. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    the layering works well for me.

first layer is thermals, sometimes lightweight, sometimes heavy weight

second layer is sweats or fleece, again lightweight and heavyweight(depends on temps)

outer layer is always un-insulated bibs and parka type jacket. the bibs and jackets are windproof and waterproof.

i can move easier in un-insulated outerwear.

and of course insualted gloves,hats and boots!!

vaughn

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Layering,thermal underwear,jeans,denim shirt,insulated bibbs and jacket,gloves if it warrents them.

19. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I agree 100%. Easier to adjust the layers with bibs and a coat. Plus when you get my size you can't fine anything two sizes bigger. 4XXXX coat and size 14 EE boots.

20. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    layering is the way to go,but when fishing dont forget to bring extra clothes.just in case you fall in.