Dream gun (functional)

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by triggerhappy, Feb 6, 2006.

1. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Forum seems a little dead so I'ma gonna throw a classic out there.

For the type of hunting you actually do (not that dream of a future elk hunt) what would you consider the ideal gun. Cost and availability of ammo put aside, purely on performance merits.

Mine: A rotary lever carbine in 308 (don't have) My 10/22 carbine (only wish it had full-sized stock) and a A-5 in 16gauge with 26" barrels (don't have) I think with those three I would have the ultimate in practical, often used guns.

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I've got a lot of dream guns, but here are my favorite.
    My favorite gun is a Winchester Super X3 Field 12 gauge. I've already been staring at it on the internet for 30 minutes tonight. If you haven't seen it, take a look, because it is beautiful. But, with Winchester going under, my other dream gun is a Browning Gold Hunter 12 gauge. I'd also like to have a Remington 700 LV SF in .223. Its not the most expensive rifle out there, but it'd make a nice predator gun.

3. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    My dream guns would be a browning A-bolt varmint stalker in .243 for coyotes. A browning cynergy sporting in 20 ga for clays, and for turkeys a winchester super x3 camo field in 12 ga. With those i would be set for life.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    i'm an upland gamebird hunter. After Years of toting a heavy unreliable POS winchester through the bird fields I finaly upgraded. The Benelli 12Ga. legacy is one sweet gun. nice balance, wicked benelli reliability, and darned pretty too........take a look
    http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/legacy.tpl

5. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Well, my wonderful wife is actually making my dream gun become a reality. A few years ago I traded for a barrelled action, didn't even know the caliber. I got to fooling with it and discovered it was a .284 winchester built on a 93 mauser oberndorf action. I scrounged around and found a stock for it, put a scope on it, sighted it in and it is a deer killing machine. I really love this caliber and cartridge, the only draw back is on the 93 action I can't load to the calibers full potential. So last year I bought an all matching number 1908 Brazillian mauser rifle. This is a 98 style action and is going to be the base of a custom rifle. Well, it has been sitting around gathering dust and my wife told me the other day to get it out and send it off to be re-barrelled in .284. She also told me the next time we are in lincoln we are going to stop in at Fred Wenig's and pick me out an exotic wood stock for it. If you don't know anything about a 284, do a little reading, it matches 270 ballistics with much less recoil. Boog

6. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    For me, I think I have my dream shotgun, which is a 870 Express Super Mag pump 12ga, it shoulders nice, I find it very comfortable to shoot, can shoot 2 3/4",3, and 3 1/2" shells, it's paid for and I really enjoy shooting it(well, the 3 1/2" does hurt a bit). I've seen some very fine weapons listed so far, especially that Benelli Legacy. I guess a dream gun for me is one you really enjoy shooting and doesn't let you down. Just my .02...Happy Hunting:)

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hmm..... I dont know for me. For Deer it would have to be some kick arse, take no prisoners special chambered handgun, straight wall of corse, so it would be legal here in Ohio. Something that would make a deer jump 15 feet in the air after being hit but at the same time darn near break my hand after shooting it!

A little more closer to reality would be a S&W .460 w/ a nice leupold scope or a very nice military style aimpoint. 2nd would be my trusty old Ruger .454

Field gun...... old style Browning Auto 5

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Dream gun that is usable and functional.

Rifle. My model 70 in 270 winchester. 110 grain bullets for coyotes. 130 grains for deer and 150 for all other no dangerous game.

If I could choose one kick butt rifle it would be the Lazzoroni 7.82 war bird.

Shotgun my browning citori special sporting clays great hunting gun shoulders well seems to point its self. alittle heavy but tames the recoil.

My BT99 stainless steel with 34 inch barrel for trap shooting.

If I had to have one shotgun for hunting only. It would be the Beneli super black eagle in twelve gauge.

Handguns I am looking at a S&W 460 . I have shot a S&W 50 cal mag. It is too much for me. When I shoot it it did break my hand.

The 460 will shoot 45 long colt, 454 casaul and 460 S&W mag.

JMHO

9. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Boogan, you'll be glad to learn I a HUGE fan of the older mauser catridges!

I'm secretly having an affair with the 6.5 swede. (6.5x55...if you ever won't to get a collection of mauser guns going, this must be included!)

It's a shame that factories don't load these calibers to their full potential. But I suppose it serves two purposes. 1. cover's there legal-hide and 2. Makes their 'new wiz-bang' cartridges seem to be far superior.

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I just put an 870 express super mag on lay a way at Wally World & I bought a slug barrel for it on e-bay.
    Other than that, the only other gun I have is SWEET! It's a Browning, Belgium Light 12 that was bought new by my mom for my dad about 45 years ago & it's still in very good condition! :)

Eric

11. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Glad to see there is another fan out there trigger! It just amazes me to watch the trends in rifle cartridges. They slowly climb to bigger and bigger, remember the ulta mag craze about seven or eight years ago, now back to more power in a smaller case. Short Mags? They aren't doing anything with them that wasn't done 50 years ago with a .275 Rigby (7x57 Mauser). The only problem is, most of the short mags I have shot kick just as hard and in some cases harder than their big brother, the .300 WSM for example. I absolutely love my 284 winchester. With the wide variety of 7mm bullets available I can shoot anything from prarie dogs to moose with it. The short action makes it a nice light rifle and it has very little recoil. If winchester had only offered it in a bolt rifle instead of just in the 88 levers and 100 auto's it would have had a huge following. Another overlooked but great cartridge is the 8mm mauser or 8x57. This rifle has ballistics neck and neck with a 30-06, but again with much less recoil. Not that I am a wuss or anything, but why get your shoulder tore off if you don't have to? Over the next few years I am building a set of matched rifles built on Mauser actions in the whole family of 7x57 calibers, the 7x57, .257 Roberts, .244 Remington, and .224 Texas Trophy Hunter. And yes, like you I also have a 6.5x55 and it is an awesome little rife, I just wish they made a wider variety of bullet weights for it. Great thread and nice to talk to another Mauser guy! Boog

12. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    A M24SWS chambered in 300winmag. Although most is chambered in 7.62 caliber they are adaptable to 300.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Rifles,shotguns,and pistols.Military and hunting.300 mags to 22 Hornet.3 1/2 in.Mag.to 410 shotgun.Pellet and BB.At one time,before illness,I had collected and owned over 50 guns.(I keep telling ya,I had it good) None realy expensive.I couldn;t afford them.I love history and the history of guns.Being I liked to hunt everything.There is only one gun that fits the rules,for me and has proven itself,for over a hundred years,all over the world.Elephant to Sparrow,It has and will take it,if you know how to use it.Why,because that is all the POOR MAN had to feed his family.Yup,the old single barrel 12 gauge shotgun,will and has killed everything That I or you have ever hunted.There are many different actions,now attached to that single barrel.Full auto to break open.Give me the old tried and true break open,if your life is on the line.The poor man who,s life and family depended on his gun,did not write the books.The fancy man with the fancy gun did.peewee-williams

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Glad to see some of you young fellers into the old tried and true military cartridges.Military rifles in 7x57 Mauser and 303 British were used to comercialy hunt and cull every big and small game animal in Africa.The 6.5x55 and 7.62x54 were used the same way in northern Europe and northern Asia.All were sold,and used by many in the US.and Canada.The military rifles are still a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with.Many people buy a magnum rifle with a high powered scope,and talk about hunting for sport.(I AM GUILTY).The military rifles or my old bolt action,yup bolt action. 30/30 with open sights,were a lot more sporting.I sure do miss my guns.peewee-williams

15. SMP_Angler

SMP_Angler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I especially like Mossbergs, and I really have been checking out the new Browning Cynergy, but I don't think I would ever be able to afford one.