Dream come true, new PB flathead catfish, story included

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishin' addict, Oct 4, 2009.

1. fishin' addict

fishin' addict New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I know it is not nearly as big as some of the flatties you guys have caught but, this one was a dream come true for me. This is only the second flathead I have ever caught. The first one was only 5 lbs. I caught it on the Scioto. It was 1:15 am. and somehow I managed to fall asleep in my chair. I woke up to hear my drag buzzing and something is ripping line from my reel. I let the fish run for about a minute and when I closed the bail on it it was hooked ( love them circle hooks ). This was on my bass pole too with only 14 lb test ( funny how I always catch em on my crappiest pole - not my pole that is set up just for catfish ). Anyway it took my about 25 mins to finally get it up to shore where I could see it and boy was I pumped. I had never seen one this big in person before so to me it looked like 50lbs. My next problem was figuring out how I was going to land it. I was by myself and I do not have a net, and the spot I was fishing had a very steep ledge. I was liable to fall in the water. What I ended up doing was walking over to a fallen tree and shimmying down the tree over the water mean while still fightin this fish. So I'm hangin over the water holding my pole in one hand and I grab the fish by its mouth whilst I am sitting on this tree trying to keep my balance and not fall in. Anyways as I lifted it out of the water a couple guys happen to be walkin by and they took a picture for me with my camera. I was so pumped up after I caught this fish that I ended up driving the wrong way on 23 into oncoming traffic and got pulled over by the cops and given a ticket. I did not let that spoil my good night of fishing. Anyways like I said it is not the biggest flathead compared to some of you guys's but it is my new PB and boy was I pumped! Lookin at It I thought it was 40lbs but it only weighed 25.4 lbs. Man that was fun!

Attached Files:

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Congratulations Logan,Now you be hooked for life when it comes to fishing Flats.Good Job and sorry about the ticket.J.D.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Good report Logan and congrat's on your new P.B:wink:

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I told ya it was an addiction Logan! Congrats on the fine looking Flathead!

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Out standin. Thanx for sharein. Send the ticket to Paul. He'll pay it. LOL!

6. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Congrats on your PB Logan.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    That's the ticket. It pays to be persistent. Some places fish come easy and people don't appreciate them. I do like circle hooks when I'm sleeping.

8. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on you best fish, hopefully it won't be long before you top that one. Thanks for sharing your story too.

9. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good job brother! That is a nice lookin fish I also got a ticket for that

10. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    congrats! :big_smile:

11. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    congrats on the new pb---don't you ohio guys know how to read road signs----or were u on the kool-aid. :roll_eyes:

12. fishin' addict

State:
    Ohio
    Funny. Yeah, he did like 6 different sobriety tests. I passed em all with flying colors. Then a state trooper came out and sobriety tested me and he said... "yep your right. He aint drunk." They were pretty cool and all and even wanted to see the pics of my fish. But he said his boss told he had to ticket me even though it was an accident.

13. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    good job my man nice lookin flat cat keep on em by the way you addicted for life now

14. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    nice fish and story. id of liked to see ya crawled out on that limb. id of tried runnin to help. good stuff. :tounge_out:

15. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Glad to hear you got one,Thanks for the pic's and story, I know you felt every move he made with bass pole,It kick's but to get them on light gear,And rep's to you for figuring out how to land it on that step bank with no net,on light gear while keeping you're balance :wink::cool2:

16. fishin' addict

State:
    Ohio
    Yea, as far as I'm concerned there are no other fish. Why would I wanna fish for 2 lb bass when you can catch these things.

17. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    your ruined now :wink: time to upgrade to some bigger poles!

18. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    WTG on the PB I would also invest in some boots, shimming down a tree with crocs on is some funny stuff!:big_smile:

19. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    great job on the PB and that does suck bout the ticket!! i did that once but it was 4am when i did mine with no cars luckily. i did a 180 in the middle of the ramp b4 anyone i saw (i hope lol) but ya one hell of a job landin that beauty!!!

20. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    very nice..big fattie flat:big_smile: