Drayton, ND

Discussion in 'TOURNAMENT TALK' started by prlwng, Feb 5, 2020.

1. prlwng

prlwng Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    Just heard of one in Drayton, ND in August. 8 and 9 I think. Capt. Brad has more info on it.

Brackish*Water likes this.
  2. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Well-Known Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Name:
    Brad
    Mac-b likes this.

3. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    With no culling or sorting, it's more gambling than tournament fishing. No guarantee that the best team wins.

Mac-b likes this.
  4. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    Name:
    Brad
    No sorting is a law. There is tons of strategy involved and the best teams in fishing and strategy do win.

Mac-b and philly35 like this.
  5. prlwng

State:
    Name:
    bill
    If your first fish is 1lb
    Next is 5lb
    Next 2 are 10lb
    You have 16 lbs total for day? Even tho it is only 9am? Or as is the case around Drayton, all four put back within a couple minutes and wait for the 15 to 25 lbers you know you will catch? Most ma and I caught there were over 24 inches. Many over 30.

Another question I had was this:

Is a double hook, two circle hooks about a foot apart or closer for big baits alowed?

Ma and I are contemplating making that our August red river run.

Mac-b likes this.
  6. philly35

philly35 Well-Known Member

State:
    iowa
    Name:
    Philip
    Culling is illegal in many states. Winner is subject to a polygraph test, so you’d have to be pretty stupid to even try to cheat. I would enter the tourney if it wasn’t so far away. Sounds like a good time! Just remember, cheaters never win!

7. prlwng

State:
    Name:
    bill
    If the fish never hits the livewell is it still culled? That is what I wonder about. Can you pull one in, measure then put back ok? Or must it be kept no matter what? Last time we were up there we did catch two eater sized. First and last ones. About two pounds. Rest were good fights. Had a slow start on first day then one about every 15 minutes. Those two or three poles going at a time was rough on an old man and wife.

8. CaptainBrad

State:
    North Dakota
    Name:
    Brad
    The no cull rule means when the fish is put in the livewell. You can release all you want until you make the decision. Once the fish goes in the tank its kept.

Last years winners had 81 pounds with their 8 fish. (4 over 24" and 4 under) through the 2 days. Lots of teams in the 70s. There are teams that are done and weighed in early. Last year day 1 we had 2 teams done and on the trailer by 9am.

Only single hooks, not doubles or treble hooks.

9. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    Who said anything about cheating?
    I wouldnt fish it to begin with. Great fishery but I'll never drive 5 hrs to catch some channel cats at this point. That being said, I wish Brad well. I'm sure he will have a great turnout.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020