Draw Weight?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Im picking up my first bow tomorrow. I can get it in 40-50, 50-60, 60-70 lb. draw weight. What is the difference other than the obvious. Will going with the 60-70 increase distance and power. I not worried about myself being able to draw that weight. Thanks.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've always shot my bow at 60 lbs. It is plenty fast enough for me. Powerful enough for a quick, clean, pass through shot. The faster the arrow , the less drop or arch in the flight.:cool2:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats what I figured but thought I would ask the BOC Elite first. Thanks.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I shoot around 68 pounds. I suggest shooting all you can comfortably pull and hold without gettin the shakes.:crazy: You can't shoot thru him but once but the more poundage, usually the greater the speed. What kinda bow ya gettin? I want a new one but, i'll have to make due with Caroline.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    John, I knew you would reply. I'm getting a BPS Kronik Compound. Its a 80% let-off 30 5/8 axle to axle. I have been looking at bows for a while, this one just feels right in my hand. The grip feels comfortable and it doesnt seem to want to twist on me. Everyone has to start somehow. I think its a good starter bow for 370.00 on sale. Thanks.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If they will, get them to paper tune it for ya. If they won't i can scan easy to read directions for ya. Tuning isn't hard, it just takes a little while to make it tear bullet holes. Run into any problems, holler.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Im getting the bow tomorrow, hopefully I can get it somewhat adjusted. Ill get some arrows here soon after I figure out the length I need, maybe a week or two. Your first on my list for details. Thanks.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Tomorrow i'll scan some information you need to get started off on the right foot. I love shootin a bow and can say from experience that starting off correctly is easier than trying to break bad habits. Are ya gonna use a release or shoot fingers? I would suggest a release with that short of bow. I'll scan and send or post some helpful tips tomorrow. You'll love shootin.

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Oz, it's whatver you can hold and shoot comfortably that is best. I used to moose hunt in alaska with my golden eagle formula 3d cranked down to 84lbs.... would shoot a carbon arrow like a bullet but not always the best in every situation. Try pulling 84 lb draw weight at -10 degrees. Today I shoot a Mathews Outback at 69 pounds, can hold it drawn for a long time, which you eventually will have to do if you hunt any amount of time. The more you practice and shoot the better you will get and the more your muscles will get used to it. Just remember in bowhunting the most important things to focus on are razor sharp broadheads and shot placement. 320 fps don't mean nothin if you hit him in the neck......:smile2:

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Definatley a release. Ive been wanting to do this for a few years, I have some xtra coin so I gonna get the bow tomorrow, all the xtras will follow. Thanks for all the help. Pm me for my email if ya need John.

11. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would get one set up at a decent weight. I shoot 62 to 65 pounds depending on the scale at what bow shop. Its almost to easy but once late november and december and january role around and my muscles get cold in the woods thats when it counts. Plus you want yo be able to pull it bake with minimal movement, i see so many people that have to turn there heand and lift the bow up and drop it down as they draw and several other things, thats not good at all. I can hold my bow out at arms length and draw it back with very little movement being detected from straight in front of me. I have come to full draw with deer looking right at me but since my arm comes straight back my bow hides the movement. hope it helps

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Thanks, I hear ya. This is all new to me. Well I have been researching for a spell, I did get a Dvd from BPS made by PSE called holding steady. Gonna watch it here in a few. Since I live in the city Im lucky to have a 30 yard warehouse I can practice in after work, open the door and I have another 40 yards. Gotta be careful tho, the police train there dogs next door at night.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    As a general rule, I would suggest going with the highest weight you can pull back comfortably and smoothly. I don't hunt with a compound anymore but mine is 70# and it isn't hard to pull back or shoot. Broadside shots almost always pass through. I shot one walking straight at me once and it went all the way through length wise. The ones I hunt with are recurves rated at 55# @ 28", but shoot 67# at my draw length.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well I picked up the bow today. Gonna have to go back and get some arrows here soon and get it set up. Its 60-70 weight. A little tough to pull back right now, aint used them muscles in a while, gonna have to do some pushups and chinups. :eek:oooh::crazy:

Attached Files:

15. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Yea thats a nice lookin bow ya got there, all i can say is practice, practice, practice. Once you shoot a few hundred arrows correctly everything will become easy for ya to do.

16. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get a sixty to seventy pound bow.. Then, set it at about sixty two pounds to practice and hunt with... That will be perfect, in my humble opinion. It's the set up I and many excepienced bowhunters use. Remember, you, and most men can pull seventy pounds a time or two in practice but... You might be taking shots at game at all sorts of angles and weather conditions. Sixty to sixty three pounds pull is JUST RIGHT for most of us. Luke Clayton, Mathews Bow pro staffer...

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Ozzy! Welcome to the WORLD OF ARCHERY!! Looks like a nice bow you have! I just want to add a little advice. When practicing, never over-do it. Just shoot around 20 arrows around 3 times a week. It's always better to make 20 good shots than 50 bad ones. That's how bad habits start. Always make sure your form is good and the shots are going off good to. I'm not sure if you have an archery instructor in your area, but taking advice from someone that's a good shooter is always good. Getting back to the bad habits, I've had target panic and that makes more people quit shooting than anything else. Always sqeeze the trigger on the release and use your back muscles to set the shot off. Get the index finger wrapped around the trigger and put tension on it. It will not go off! Any questions feel free to PM me!! BACK TENSION SHOOTING! But that's another topic to be discussed.

Let us know how it coming and good luck to you. It's great fun!! .

Mark

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks Mark. They have a indoor archery range there. While I was there this guy had a competition model bells and whistles all over it, definatly not a hunter model. I spoke to him for a few and he said alot of the same things you just said. This guy was good, hitting a quarter size dot at about 25 yards. Just need to get some arrows now and set the bow up.

19. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That's awesome OZZY! Having an indoor archery range will be very benficial for you. It's a great sport and my best friends also shoot archery. Great bunch of people! I would get as much advice as possible from the guy that shoots the competition bow. Sounds like he knows what he is doing. Hopefully he can show his services to you without any hassle. I would bet he would be more than happy to help you!

GOOD SHOOTING!!:big_smile::wink:

20. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I want to know what the heck you are going to hunt in Vegas? Lived there four years, not much to hunt in that desert. Looks like a real nice bow. I got my bow set at 63 pounds with a 80% letoff...just right for me. Good luck and happy hunting.