Draining Cox Creek Lake

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Jimmy Don, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The recent heavy rains have washed out under the concrete spillway at Cox Creek Lake in Leola. The reports that I hear is that they are going to have to drain the lake down to the creek for repairs.

If anyone wanted to fill a freezer it will be a prime opportunity to do so. I would go pretty quick, because from what I hear it will be down too low to launch a boat in a few weeks.

2. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Jimmy Don,
    Didn't they do something to that lake a few years back? I of course live in Sheridan and well coxs creek is a good quick fix. Sad!

3. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I think the last time they drained it was in the mid to late eighties. They drained it twice in the eighties I believe. Once the gate on the dam got hung open and they had to drain it to repair it and the other time was like this one, the spillway washed out.

4. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    jimmy , you ever hear of any catfish comeing out of that lake. i know i have herd of some good bass and i have caught a ton of good croppie and big blue gill , man im sorry to hear that i like that little lake . wonder how long it will get back to be decent fishing again.

5. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've caught some fair catfish out of there. The biggest was an 18 lb. blue last year. My bosses son caught a 20 lb. cat out of there last weekend on a jug. I have heard of one Flathead coming out of there, it was over 30 lbs and was caught on a trotline.

Most of what I have caught were good eating size up to about 10 lbs. There are tons of them in there from 2-10 lbs.

That little lake is fished pretty hard and my experience with it is they are either tearing it up or it is like the dead sea. I have'nt done any catfishing on it this year, but I plan on doing some in the next week or so at the latest while I can still launch my boat, but when it get too low for that I'll carry my canoe over with me.

6. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    well thats sounds good to me , i will probably try and launch there on wed morning. are they going to drain it completly , or just enought to fix it

7. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I don't knlow how far down they are going to drain it. I have heard all the way to the creek. I know a lady that works at game and fish I'll have to drop her a line and see what she can tell me.

My wife and I went over there Yesterday evening and caught 2 small ones 1-1 1/2 lbs that was it.

The lake is about 2 feet low for this time of year. We pulled up on the levy and walked over to look at the spillway. The concrete is busted up all the way down the spillway where the dirt washed out from under it. It is really a mess.

8. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Everytime i go down there. I walk away empty handed. Have not caught anything from there in years. At least not enough to make me wanna drive down there and waste my time there. Wish the fishing was better and I would go more. I would rather drive to little Rock or Pine Bluff at the river to fish. If I am gonna fish a lake, then I would just as soon drive to Lake Degray or Lake Ouchita. All about the same distance for me!